Any Vegans here?

Oh cool. Never heard of it. Are they strictly vegan?

Vromage sounds like it would be a former cheeseheads dream @onelabneh. I didn’t even know there were Vegan Cheese Shops! Learning about so many places on this thread.

Exactly. I’m not against GMOs used in a sustainable, environmentally positive way, but in the US most of the GMOs on the market in the US are glyphosate-resistant (“Roundup-Ready®” etc.) corn and soy, which are neither.

1 Like

Yes - Doomie’s is full vegan but, as they describe themselves, “gluttonous”. They also have a Mexican restaurant right next door to the original spot that I haven’t tried.

I’m not vegan but Vromage is a fun place to check out. The owner is a character and is happy to offer you samples of his wide varieties of faux-cheese.

2 Likes

I’ve liked everything I’ve eaten in my three meals at Powerplant Superfood Cafe except for the coconut curry, which was I found too bland and watery. I can’t remember any specific dishes.

1 Like

There are at least two Sages – ones in Culver City, one in Echo Park. The menu is the same. I like the one in Echo Park. My wife and I go about three times a year for brunch. It’s about on par with Real Food Daily.

Jewel is in the Silver Lake / Echo Park area.

Plant Food + Wine is in Venice.

Wild Living Foods is downtown.

Powerplant Superfood is “mid city”-ish.

3 Likes

Look what article just came out today on EATER LA

4 Likes

Oh thanks @Alkiegourmand!

I’m not vegetarian but I like eating vegetarian and have a lot of friends & family who are vegetarian. Thanks for noting the areas. That Powerplant Superfood is right in my zip code and now I recall driving past Wild Living Foods seeing the neon sign and thinking it looks cool.

Happy Vegetarian Eating!

Hmmm… coincidence or no?

looking forward to the “27 best non-alcoholic drinks in los angeles” listicle from eater.

5 Likes

That would be good. I have a girlfriend who rarely drinks and hates that she can’t get good mocktails. She always requests her juices & sodas in cocktail glasses. :slightly_smiling_face:

From this thread I poked into what is GM about the Impossible Burger. I’m totally fine with the heme because (I think) that’s a pretty specialty product completely separate from agriculture which is my biggest problem with GMOs as mentioned above. However, I didn’t realize they also use GM soy protein.

Now. I do believe there is a way to grow GM crops in a way that can be environmentally beneficial and sustainable but this post from Impossible Foods specifically addressing their choice to use GM soy doesn’t really answer all my questions. They do hit the (true and impactful) normal talking points regarding the benefits of plant based meat generally,

Compared to beef from a cow, producing the Impossible Burger uses 87% less water, emits 89% fewer greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, contributes 92% less water pollution, and uses 96% less land , enabling healthy ecosystems to be restored for nature and biodiversity.

Use of GM soy specifically is addressed here

And crucially for critics of GM agriculture and those interested in food and environmental safety: About 80% less herbicide is required to produce the Impossible Burger than an average American cow-derived burger, because of the large amount of crops required to feed a cow to produce beef.

and here

94% of the soy grown in the US is genetically engineered to resist herbicide toxicity. This helps control weeds without more toxic weed control agents or over-reliance on tillage, which drives soil carbon loss. And because a cow needs to eat about 30 pounds of corn and soy for every pound of beef they produce, far less herbicide is needed to make an Impossible Burger than a burger from a cow

and they offer some basic evidence as to the safety of GM products that I largely agree with.

However, I remember there at least used to be an issue with pervasive overuse of herbicides in RoundUp Ready crops that’s not addressed here. Admittedly, it’s been years since I was in that industry so that issue may have passed but given how other entrenched problems stick around for years or even generations it seems unlikely this was solved so quickly.

Hmmm, something for me to think about and dig deeper.

2 Likes

Honeybee Burger offer both Beyond and Impossible, so you could do a direct side by side comparison. I’ve only had Monty’s which isn’t bad.

3 Likes

like mf’ing clockwork

6 Likes

They must still have a stash of vintage Monsanto Kool-Aid (actually Funny Face).

https://civileats.com/2019/01/28/australia-might-have-the-answer-to-herbicide-resistant-superweeds/

I’ve eaten at Wild Living Foods dozens of times because I live and work downtown. Glad you’re checking it out!

My favorite things at Wild Living Foods:

Golden pancakes (these are super healthy and not at all like normal pancakes – I think they are way better)

Aztalan and Middle Earth quinoa bowls – very filling

Any pasta (get it with the yeasty “garlic bread”)

Pueblo wrap

Flat earth pizza

2 Likes

Thanks @Alkiegourmand!

Thanks for mentioning Plant Food Wine @Alkiegourmand I was debating whether I should try their weekday DineLA lunch or not.

I’ll report back to this thread if I do.

I’ve also been curious about SunCafe Organic in Studio City with their cashew cream nachos and pizza. Also bookmarked is Satdha Plant Based Thai Kitchen in SaMo on Lincoln Blvd.

Yes - it’s really good! I’ve just had the beyond with cheese, not the avocado but VERY tasty.

1 Like

Real Food Daily La Cienega / Beverly

One of the first modern Vegan restaurants in the area. They’ve come a long way from the beginning when they served “Alfalfa sprouts and a plate of mashed yeast”.

Spicy Ramen Bowl

Penne Alfredo w/Tempeh Bacon

Son’s favorite!

The standout was Spicy Sausage Pizza w/Smoked Mozzarella, Bell Peppers, Caramelized Onions, Garlic

Smoked Vegan Mozzarella was creamy & delicious. I’m not an expert on Cornicione but I think they did a good job.

Dark Chocolate Cake & Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream

5 Likes