Anywhere to buy sourdough starter in South OC?

As posted elsewhere I’ve started playing with making my own sourdough bread. I’ve been getting better at it and have been using a store bought special dry yeast for sourdough, but I’d like to try it with real starter. I could make my own but I’m wondering if anyone here might know of someplace that they know sells a good one in OC from around Costa Mesa South to San Clemente. TIA.

For a while, Playground in Santa Ana was selling theirs. No idea if that’s still the case.

So many great ones you can buy online - my favorite is from the San Francisco Baking Institute. There are many Amazon and Etsy, but also various websites with 100+ year old starter (freeze dried) that they sell. Also, you can ask at your local bakery if they’ll give you starter.

Or, just make your own - it’ll be ready in about a week or so: Sourdough Starter

1 Like

These guys might be able to ID a named source:

Share what you end up with:

“Even though their research questions seem straightforward, the answers are often complicated or elusive. For example, the team has identified many species of bacteria and fungi present in sourdough starters. But the function of most of these microbes—whether they help the starter grow or improve the flavor, or are they just along for the ride—is still unknown.“

Rye Goods

Fermentation Farm looks like a great find and it’s only 10 minutes from our son’s house where I’ll be tomorrow anyway. They sell a 200 year old starter. :sunglasses::tada::smiley:

1 Like

Tangential question: is a super old starter better? I imagine it might be more hearty (resilient), but is there any other advantage?

I have no idea, but it’s too cool to pass on.

From what I’ve read about how starter is used up and fed I’d think there’s not much left that could reflect what began 200 years ago. Not sure of the science, but the math suggests that.

don’t bother… it’s water and flour… and it’s super easy.

if you can make oatmeal you can make a starter.

go mix 2 oz of flour and 2 oz of water and leave it alone on the counter then let’s talk again on thursday

I WILL be making my own starter too. I’m finding that there are many, many different ‘recipes’ not so much for starters but for feeding them. I got the ‘200 year’ one today but will also try one myself in the next few days.

Huge variations out there in ‘recipe’ flour type and hydration % in starters and some also in how to proof. I guess you just have to try different methods and find one(s) you like. I cook but don’t bake. I’d always thought that baking is about exact methodology, so I wasn’t prepared for the differences.

1 Like

Yes, you’re definitely over researching.

Like you said there are tons of very advanced methods but better to learn basic .equal parts of water and AP flour to start with is a good learning experience and in 2 weeks you’ll have a fridge sourdough starter that you’ll feed only couple of times a week. Mine is doing really good now, i only started 2 months ago. Fancy flour is for the baked product, no need for starter imo.

I did get some really nice flour though now that I know what i’m doing.

3 Likes

None of those things need to affect the starter, actually. Bread recipes will let you know how to make a levain from the starter, so it ultimately doesn’t matter what starter you use. :slight_smile:

Not in bread. Bread is its own wild and very inexact thing. Part of the fun and frustration.

What kind of difference? I have a bag of Giusto flour sitting on my counter, and I’m wondering if it’ll make a big difference in the final product. Give me hope. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love fancy flour especially the heirloom varieties. Easy to use and great flavor i believe Gourmandaise school in Santa Monica sells some. I buy Roan mills from the farmers market in Wednesdays

Giusto’s and other high end flours are mostly easier handle (i love the French T55 flour from Bay Cities) and proof but i don’t notice a huge difference in flavor.

3 Likes

yes i think flour freshness and strain has a big effect… i’ve used a lot of guisto for pizza and always liked it… if your’e finding yourself bored with the result maybe throw in more whole wheat into the blend… i got a really nice Red Fife from Roan Mills by us and it’s so flavorful… also just picked up a big ole sack of bread flour from King’s roost. freshness apparently has a big effect.

3 Likes

This is the whole grain flour i have now, i get it from Roan Mills proper in Filmore. They’re so small that they’re buying central milling flour for their bread operation but they’ll sell their premium flours

1 Like

I usually go 80/20 with the T55 for a poilâne style boule. I can’t decide if i like that or the Glenn flour better for bread, they both have great flavor and are easy to work with. How you like it?

The Sonora always seems to be sold out but I liked for lower protien content stuff. More of a milder flavor and color.

1 Like

I haven’t opened my first bag of kings roost yet. I just got their Bakers Craft. I’ll bake this weekend so better feed the starter

1 Like

Put in another plug for Roe at Kings Roost. He’s doing a great service to the community during this pandemic and sourcing fantastic flour and grain in bulk. Not sure if he still does this, but you can ask him to mill for you fresh if you buy the grain.

@paranoidgarliclover def. encourage you to experiment with more whole grains instead of just all white flour. White flour is essentially stripped of all it’s flavors and nutrients so it could have a long shelf life.

Grist and Toll is a great source for people in the pasadena area.

2 Likes

should just buy a small mill

thats what i did. the mock mill 100 is amazing–kings roost probably has it in stock. love that purchase. and grains are so much cheaper and very easy to store and lasts forever.

1 Like