APL Restaurant

That $50 sandwich sounds great but not on the sidewalk at Hellhole and Vine.

2 Likes

I had the burnt ends sandwich once and it suuuuuucked

I thought everything I had there sucked…starting to worry that Addison has a bit of (chef) star fucker in him.
Thought I’ve had APL beef ribs at Alex’s Lemonade Stand and they were wonderful.

1 Like

Tell that to jessica largey

Certainly not in this review.

Minus the beef on which Perry Lang justly prides himself, a lavish dinner at APL doesn’t hold in the center. This came into sharp focus during an unfortunate experience in late January, when I happened to dine at the restaurant on a night its broiler system had gone down; the only steak available was a filet mignon. An attempt to rally only highlighted the weak spots: a gloppy and disjointed Caesar salad, a crab cake that seemed meager, dull branzino in lemon brown butter looking lost on its enormous plate, fine enough pasta pomodoro, an odd take on a pear crisp in which the fruit comes half-cooked in skin-on chunks. The sides, all nice enough, needed the beefy centerpieces to feel like an event. The filet, for me, didn’t measure up to its dry-aged counterparts.

You hated the steak but liked the fries and peppers.

I stand corrected - the fries were good.
But those blistered peppers were like being robbed in broad daylight.

hahahahaha

pricing seems…reasonable?

https://aplrestaurant.com/aplbbq/

$14 burnt end sandwich, $7/quap brisket, $6 chili dog

2 Likes

Excellent. Now I can order that insane sandwich and sit down to eat it.

Beef rib $32 / lb., Saturdays only.

Best I can find so far:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwVz0w1hDtz/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=gtdonhzkojbs

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwVGQuchCUn/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1njpy3fqgfos3

Has anybody been for lunch yet? I might be in that part of town next weekend. I remember all of the rave reviews when we was doing bbq but never had a chance to try.

Yes, me :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:
Impromptu visit today a little before noon. Beat the rush to score a comfy booth.

Got OOE bbq meats 1/4 lb each brisket, pulled pork; half a slab of pork ribs. Everything ALC. Pickle salad, spicy coleslaw and potato salad.

Didn’t order bbq sauce. Didn’t come with bread, but when I was nearly done, the chef who’d finished his carving duties came around to all the tables including mine to offer bread. I was kinda taken by surprise and said “No thanks, it’s a low carb day.” Doh.

Not cheap, but worth a drive for me from SaMo. Could imagine chowing down on this every 30-45 days.

Menu below:

8 Likes

Pork ribs look EPIC!

1 Like

Best looking pork ribs I’ve seen in LA in a long time. Might have to do a Saturday so I can taste some of the beef ribs.

2 Likes

I took a closer look at the menu, that $50 sandwich is available, too.
I would be game for a Saturday adventure here sometime for lunch. I think the lure of lunch is way stronger than dinner.

5 Likes

@js76wisco @attran99 Looking forward to your Saturday reports, especially of the $50 prime rib sandwich and Saturday-only lunch beef rib.

Didn’t know what to expect with the earlier reviews about dinner, but I really enjoyed my lunch here eventhough there was no table service. Reminded me of Grill on the Alley in BH, but dimmer daytime lighting.

1 Like

I may need to roll in with a group to go in for the $50 sandwich…too rich for a party of 1.

2 Likes

It’s definitely too rich to eat without 3 - 4 people if you’re normal human. Our superhuman FTC’ers? Maybe they can tackle it solo. :open_mouth: :wink:

I’m so glad you posted this. I am putting together an itinerary for some young visitors that have never been to America. We can visit Hollywood Blvd. and have “real American BBQ” in one stop. :slight_smile:

2 Likes