APL Restaurant

Majordomo’s is better

Thanks. I’ll be able to taste it Majordomo’s soon enough, have a resy with a short rib reserved at the end of the month.

onions
20180512_104429

Here’s the recipe:

1. slice an onion
  2. serve
  3. charge 10 dollars

This is the most laughable dish i’ve ever had since my meal at blue hill at stone barns where i was served produce on nails and raw fennel on a plate.

16 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

LOL. Wow! :frowning: Seriously? APL had the gall to charge $10 for slicing an onion and dumping it on a plate?

Thanks for the warning. All 3 dishes sound ridiculous.

1 Like

Hope the nails are stainless

That’s the “cold sweet onions (ode to Peter Luger’s)”? I don’t know if this is the $8 for one or $15 for two version:

This photo of Peter Luger Steak House is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Hot damn, both of those “dishes” look just sad. How can they even serve that…? If the onions are $10, how about those Fucking fries for $9? What does it include, 3 fries?

“Ode to” this, “ode to” that, how about just make some good food at reasonable prices, even high prices if it’s fucking good. I couldn’t care less about odes nowadays; invoking the cachet of a famous joint’s name does not win brownie points with me, and that practice comes off as hollow unless they truly do an iconic dish justice with a faithful interpretation or improve/modify it in a personal way that makes sense with the restaurant’s ethos. I like Peter Luger’s and think that unless APL’s onions are somehow pretty damn fantastic despite being unphotogenic, using “ode to” is kind of an embarrassment to Peter Luger’s…

5 Likes

Holy shit LMAO so hard at that onion plate!

They should be shame for this what a joke

At CUT they charge $16 for a bottle of sparkling water.

1 Like

Wow. Considering canceling my upcoming reservation.

1 Like

No, this is more laughable. At least the one at Blue Hill at Stone Barns looked cool. This looks like a shameless copy with picks from the produce section at Ralphs.

3 Likes

Contemplating this too, after this thread

I don’t think it’s a question unless you need to see it for yourself. Because, I can’t believe my eyes.

So that was your whole meal?

Yes. Please tell me you just got up and walked out after being served that.

1 Like

Agree - Quite "ode"ous and contemptuous, if you ask me.

1 Like

Morton’s has that exact same recipe for “beefsteak tomatoes”.

However, the onion is sliced with one of APL’s $950 knives.

7 Likes

Pics of the rest of the meal or it didn’t happen.

1 Like

Wtf are you implying? I don’t need to prove anything to you.

3 Likes