April 2017 Weekend Rundown

Thanks @ipsedixit @paranoidgarliclover. Good suggestions. :slight_smile: This might’ve tied Bone Kettle for worst meal we’ve had in the last few years. :frowning:

Agree with this review 100%.
The place is just awful. We had an atrocious meal there this week.
Chochoytes were like Boba balls. The sauce under them was the only thing, to us, that tasted good at all.
Two Jonas brothers were there entertaining band mates and quite an entourage while we were there. That, sadly, was the “highlight.”

yuck.
Yuck.
YUCK

1 Like

Hi @CiaoBob,

Yikes! I wish one of us could’ve saved the other some money. Just tragic. :frowning:

I recommend a Prime Rib Butcher to wash out the bad taste! :grin:

1 Like

So what you’re really saying is that Verlaine serves yuck-forward fare…

6 Likes

sounds like the yuck was on point

6 Likes

Have you tried the Posideon tostada at Mariscos Jalisco? It is really good. Probably the next best thing you can get.

If you haven’t already check out Mariscos Tocho in Watts on the weekend.

Owner Raul at Mariscos Jalisco is a nice guy to talk with when you have a chance. On my visit I just missed one of his regulars, some guy name Wes from some Gorilla truck or something.

6 Likes

lolz

Yes! Poseidon is the move, but we had grand plans for the day and so I didn’t want to load up too much at stop #1.
Didn’t chat up Raul, but good to hear he’s a good guy and good to hear Wes knows what’s up.
Will try Tocho soon. Thanks.

speaking of Petrossian, has anyone been lately? If so, any good?

It was wonderful during dinela

4 Likes

They say we’re supposed to drink this stuff on National Beer Day (April 7th). Alrighty then, if we must…

9 Likes

$1.79 Fridays

6 Likes

#Gjusta
I gave up salads for lent

15 Likes

Cream Pan strawberry croissants because I was in the nieghborhood…I inhale those things…three or four disappear before I even notice it.

8 Likes

Glad to finally find some good koobideh in Torrance. Nice and juicy and seasoned well. This was from Seaside Market (not to be confused with Seaside Palace, a Persian restaurant also in Torrance) which is a Persian/Middle Eastern market but also has hot food like gheimei, fesenjan, etc.

Seaside Market
3801 PCH
Torrance. 90505.

13 Likes

Some snacks at MB Post.

12 Likes

I found out yesterday that it takes me 150 seconds to eat a McDouble. The shame lasts much longer.

13 Likes

My friend visiting from Japan requested breakfast out this morning, so we went to my neighborhood favorite Panns. While we will miss the Googie World Expo later today, my friend got a taste of googie architecture and a hearty American breakfast. Waffle, eggs, and bacon for her. Catfish, eggs, a biscuit, and fruit for me. Sat at the counter and had wonderful service. Never an empty coffee mug.

4 Likes

Happy Passover!

8 Likes

Tried a pizza at the new neopolitan place at Pacific City in HB today, Il Barone Sicilian Street Food. Thought a bianca would be pleasant to try as I typically enjoy the type of pie (Mozza’s bianca for example or, obviously Bianco’s out in AZ).

I am not real sure if they know what they’re doing here as they said that you can’t put sage leaves on the pizza or else they burn…but since Mozza does it just fine, it seems like that can’t be true?

Anyhow, they blast the thing with rosemary and sage oil + gorgonzola, fontina, and mozz. The cheese blend is pretty funky and actually comes out alright. The amount of oil is really intense, though lol

Kind of like ultra-greasy pizza. I guess it was ok. Not sure if the center was soupy, or it was just soaked in oil. The crust itself was fairly lightly cooked, not terrible, but not a ton of chew to it. It felt most like eating a grilled cheese sandwich than a pizza if that makes any sense at all hah.

On Grubhub the pizza is listed as $12, but in reality it’s $14 + $1.09 tax; so $17 with tip, not super expensive, not going to knock any socks off I guess. I mean, probably should just drive to Settebello, but it’s literally right next to a coffee counter I frequent, so I figured I would give it a go after hearing some people next to me eating some of the pizza raving about it. I think they were Neopolitan neophytes, though.

Bianca Pizza

Oily Shot

Undercarriage

**I will note, I actually feel pretty ill after consuming just half of this pizza, and I have a pretty high hedonism tolerance. I wouldn’t recommend consuming it.

2 Likes