April 2022 Rundown

Orthodox Easter lunch. Combo of homemade + takeout from Rasputin in Encino

15 Likes

Christos Anesti!

1 Like

Goat plate special at Caribbean Gourmet totally ripped. Maybe a weekend one-off? Hope it’s added to the regular menu. Paired with an uninspiring boba from Maru up the street (Bopomofo was way too busy). Maybe I’m spoiled by Boba Lab and Teaspoon out west, but I couldn’t taste a lick of taro in this thing. The mango boba themselves were fun, though.

Went to Cento for the first time that night. Impressed with all three reds we tried (montepulciano with mild carbonation, a really wild aglianico, and some Tuscan red blend that started subtle and finished with power). Pastas generally solid - the pomodoro unevenly spiced yet still quite tasty, but I was disappointed by the oily character of the broccolini bucatini. Veg puree very pretty to look at (sorry for lack of pictures) but fairly bland. Could have used a nudge from citrus or spice. Preferred it reheated the next day with Sriracha.

8 Likes

They sold out before I could try it!! I really enjoy their pattys, that homemade dough is insanely good especially paired with their devishly spicy scotch bonnet hot sauce.

Sounds rad, I still need to try those patties. That coconut pastry they have up front in the case is a heavy hitter too. Goat (with a lot of bones) comes with those outstanding chickpeas, fried plantains, rice and some cabbage dish whose name I forget. $10 more than their regular plates but a veritable mountain of food and flavors.

1 Like

Am I the only who didn’t know that Ikea Burbank does test tasting???

Partner and I were there this weekend (which is how we hit up Gorilla Pies afterward), and, while trying to exit, an employee asked us if we wanted to try a new food item. Sure!

It’s a vegan meatball. There is a certain meatiness to the chew. Taste-wise (but not texture wise), maybe halfway btw a veg fritter and an animal meatball. The lingonberry sauce was really strong (and a pleasant accompaniment); I should’ve tried a portion of the meatball alone. It was actually rather enjoyable. I would’ve purchased a bag, but partner and I were pooped once we made it to the exit and wanted lunch.

8 Likes

I think I need a nap…I read that you and your partner needed to poop once you made it to the exit… :expressionless:

9 Likes

Oh, depending on the day and time, your reading may not be incorrect, actually. But TMI and all that stuff. :poop: :wink:

5 Likes

11 Likes

13 Likes

Bar at Kato

Milk bread with kombu butter and Astrea kaluga caviar + sea urchin donut with Iberico ham and brown butter + bamboo bocktail

IMG_4257

Horse mackerel with tosazu

IMG_4258

IMG_4259

Amberjack collar with fermented Fresno chili + 2017 pinot noir from Domaine Jean Vaudoisey
(Don’t forget to add caviar and torn up milk bread)

IMG_4261

IMG_4262

This next drink is their Five Spice Shandy from the Non-Alc section. I asked Kevin and Austin if they would create an alcoholic version for me. They subbed Gold Medal for the Non-Alc Amber Ale and added a Forthave Red floater. Delicious! I totally recommend seeing if they’ll do this in the future.

IMG_4265

And the Sloe Gin Fizz!! This is a two part drink. It takes ten to fifteen minutes for the fizz to set so they offer you a little pace car while you wait.

IMG_4266

IMG_4267

IMG_4269

IMG_4273

Charter Oak
@moonboy403 this one’s for you.

I hadn’t been back here since they opened in 2018. We wanted to try this new spot Animo in Sonoma but the timing didn’t work out. So Charter Oak it was!

Mai Tai Milk Punch with ginger tea infused rum, cointreau, orgeat and lime

IMG_4134

Charter Oak bread with house cultured butter + stracciatella with olive oil, sel gris and black pepper

IMG_4135

Raw vegetables from our farm with fermented soy dip

IMG_4137

Eggs from our chickens with Seth’s bottarga (Seth is a bottarga guy in Florida)

IMG_4138

Aged beef chuck tartare with spring onion, ember mayo and milk bread

IMG_4139

Super Bite! with tartare, stracciatella and bottarga

IMG_4149

Salad of little gems with finger lickin’ miso caesar

IMG_4140

Drum wheat bucatini with clams, cover crop and chili condiment

IMG_4142

Oyster mushrooms with shallot & garlic confit

IMG_4146

Pineapple Penicillin with Siete Misterios, avocado leaf gum, ginger and lemon

IMG_4143

Kohlrabi with pestled mustard greens

IMG_4148

Smoked beef shortrib with saba of cabernet grapes
Shoulda taken a picture of the tendon off the bone! delicious

IMG_4145

Grilled chicken with black garlic BBQ sauce

IMG_4144

The Cheeseburger with hand-cut French fries

IMG_4147

Pavlova with rhubarb jam and Tenbrink olive oil custard + soft serve with burnt vanilla and wild pecan oil + coffee

IMG_4150

IMG_4152

Pomet
This spot caught my eye as soon as it opened.

We shared a bottle of Den Nama Genshu throughout

Cured Bodega rockfish with fermented radish, chilies, sorrel and lime

IMG_4168

Stemple Creek beef tartare with Niitaka pear, pine nut, buckwheat and egg

IMG_4169

Toasted sesame & scallion roll with nori butter + roasted Star Route carrots with dates, honey and sunflower

IMG_4170

Super Bite! with carrot and tartare

IMG_4171

Coal roasted turnip with market vegetables, peanut, ash and Koda rice + Liberty duck confit, noodles, wild leeks, peas and parmesan + smoked Half Moon Bay black cod, sunchoke and lemongrass

IMG_4172

Fuji tart tatin with cultured cream + peanut butter, shared cultures cacao nib miso cake slice

IMG_4173

IMG_4174

Zuni Cafe
@Catholiver this one’s for you!

Oysters and Clams
IMG_4177

Piracicaba broccoli and Manila clams a la plancha with butter beans and toasted breadcrumb salsa

IMG_4178

Yellowfin Tuna grilled rare with asparagus, Red Lasoda potatoes, Tokyo turnips, and blood orange salsa verde

IMG_4179

Chicken for two roasted in the wood-fired brick oven over warm bread salad with scallions, garlic, bitter greens, dried currants, and pine nuts

IMG_4180

Orange blossom panna cotta with candied kumquats and honeycomb candy

IMG_4182

Espresso granita with whipped cream

IMG_4183

B Patisserie
Can anyone guess the car seats?

IMG_4194

Bi-Rite Creamery

IMG_4199

Spent a day in Half Moon Bay, had lunch at Sam’s Chowder House

IMG_4198

25 Likes

Now I wanna try it next time I go up!

1 Like

Yeah they’d been open T-Su for a bit but switched to W-Su and we didn’t realize until that Monday lol. We were in the area on Tuesday hoping to stop in. Hopefully in a few months I’ll be able to check it out

It was nice being back at Charter Oak though, no complaints there

3 Likes

@butteredwaffles, wowsers! Epic post!

1 Like

No fries at Zuni Cafe?

1 Like

Over how much time did this occur???

1 Like

@RedDevil thanks! :sunglasses:

@js76wisco :sweat_smile: normally yes but this wasn’t the main meal of that day :rofl: we regretted it when the table next to us got their order

@catholiver Kato was the other night. The rest of my post was over the course of five days, and it’s not everything lol!!

2 Likes

This is all I got…

Cocktails at the The Belmont (La Cienega) - Hot Mango Love (absolut mango, oj, simple syrup, lemon juice, jalapeños) & an Old-fashioned

I dug the Hot Mango Love, but hubs was disappointed with the small, watery ice cubes in his old-fashioned.

Happy Friday!

10 Likes

This deserves repeating. Please tell me this dessert was as good as it looks…

6 Likes

I sadly pass by their supposedly new but perennially empty locale on San Vicente / Miracle Mile. Does anyone know what’s up with the opening?

1 Like