April 2022 Rundown

No fries at Zuni Cafe?

1 Like

Over how much time did this occur???

1 Like

@RedDevil thanks! :sunglasses:

@js76wisco :sweat_smile: normally yes but this wasn’t the main meal of that day :rofl: we regretted it when the table next to us got their order

@catholiver Kato was the other night. The rest of my post was over the course of five days, and it’s not everything lol!!

2 Likes

This is all I got…

Cocktails at the The Belmont (La Cienega) - Hot Mango Love (absolut mango, oj, simple syrup, lemon juice, jalapeños) & an Old-fashioned

I dug the Hot Mango Love, but hubs was disappointed with the small, watery ice cubes in his old-fashioned.

Happy Friday!

10 Likes

This deserves repeating. Please tell me this dessert was as good as it looks…

6 Likes

I sadly pass by their supposedly new but perennially empty locale on San Vicente / Miracle Mile. Does anyone know what’s up with the opening?

1 Like

I was always led to believe that even non-certified-organic sellers at Farmers Markets are all pesticide-free. But! When Tapia Brothers stopped selling at BHFM I trekked out to the Valley for some of their delicious corn and heard a worker say they do spray their fruits & vegetables. Not sure if that applies to the corn, as I have occasionally found a live, nestling, green wiggler, but it does give me pause. :thinking:

1 Like

So good.

1 Like

toyota?

1 Like

My guess is Hyundai or Kia.

1 Like

:joy: it’s toyota!

1 Like

Just heard about Pomet last night and almost went but ended up at Ippuku instead. Finally got there early enough that they hadn’t run out of the raw dishes (you have to ask for the separate menu). The one with egg yolk and nori was fantastic. The ceviche-like “pickled” was very good. Other favorite dish of the night was squid ink rice. No photos policy so no photos.

The main rules at most markets are that the stuff has to be grown in California and the vendors can sell only the stuff they grew themselves plus at most stuff from two other certified vendors. At most markets, if vendors don’t post that they’re organic, or have a sign saying pesticide-free or whatever, you have to ask. Not all pesticides are unhealthy, some quickly degrade to harmless chemicals.

3 Likes

Man I haven’t been to Ippuku in a long time. Last time I was supposed to go was 3 years ago at this point.

I loved Pomet. I want one in my neighborhood lol

Still need to make it to Daytrip

Torigoya in LA is very good.

Thanks for reminding me i work near Torigoya. It’s good I’ve been a few times

Tour de LA freeway grab and go bang bang

Finally made it to the new location at the Del Amo Mall. #allmitsuwasarenotcreatedequal. Very decent supermarket sushi

Why aren’t there more of these around???

Kimchi restocking

Did I go to the right Ba Le? Driver friendly durian format

20 Likes

Ammatoli in Long Beach

Grilled halloumi (mint, watermelon):

Lamb chops with vermicelli rice, tabbouleh, muttabal, & tahini:

Chicken & ribeye kebabs with fries, hummus, & toum:

Knafeh (pistachios, orange blossom syrup):

Tacos Los Cholos in Fullerton

Chorizo, carne asada, ribeye, and arrachera tacos:

Connie & Ted’s in WeHo

Beau Soleils:

New England clam chowder:

Hot lobster roll:

Bacon Hook Burger (hook’s 4-year-old cheddar, pickles, onion, lettuce, 1000 island, neuske’s bacon):

All Day Baby in Silver Lake

Spicy farmer’s cheese (whipped farmer’s cheese, caraway, red chili, pickled carrots):

Buttermilk biscuit & butter:

Smoked char siu pork ribs (half rack st. louis ribs, french fries & aioli):

Chicken-fried steak (10oz New York steak, burnt fennel country gravy, fried duck egg, crispy potatoes):

Baked Alaska (vanilla bean meringue, strawberry sorbet, brown sugar sour cream sherbert):

22 Likes

That carne asada looks amazing. Charred bits and medium-rare chunks.

1 Like

Hi @thechez5 -

That all looks so good. How were the St Louis-style ribs from ADB?

1 Like