Auburn: A Pictorial Essay

Yogurt was no bueno to me. Ribeye was pleasant enough…if a bit uninspiring.

Ribeye’s for the Michelin inspectors. They expect some beef on every frickin’ menu, dammit, because Nigel the hedgie from Canary Wharf will have a Brit-shit-fit if a bowl of congee interrupts his otherwise starry-formulaic meal in L.A.

3 Likes

Too bad you didn’t post here so people could easily compare comments.

Fantastic photos, @J_L! Between you, @PorkyBelly and @moonboy403, I feel like I know which dishes were the winners. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Chef Bost, who very nicely went around talking to guests at each table, said he’ll switch up a few dishes every month or so if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

Celeb diner sighting at Auburn: Chef Jon Yao of Kato

what about the model?

1 Like

A very nice young lady, who asked to remain nameless in my review/thread.

Awww…Citrus. That’s a nice flashback. Beautiful pictures @J_L.

1 Like

Did you get any other wine? I had the 2005 at Spago last year and it was wonderful. Usually I’m not a fan of sweet wines, but it had enough freshness to enjoy.

Still undecided on whether we will do the pairings or bring our own.

Hi DTLAeater. Yes, I did order a four-glass pairing: ( The Auburn wine list is posted on their website. )

Chardonnay, Domaine Pinson, Petit Chablis 2017
Vinho Verde, Quinta de Linhares, Azal, Minho 2017
Garnacha, Bodegas Muga, Rioja 2017
Cabernet Sauvignon, Obsidian Ridge, Lake County 2016

Sauternes, Château Suiduiraut, Bordeaux 1989 was a bonus sip, on the house for many of the guests that night…

I thought the Portuguese vinho verde paired particularly well with my ridgeback prawns. It just brings back all sorts of Iberian Peninsula goodness to my memory.

The Obsidian Ridge cab was not too big, and just right for my delicious duck.

Please report back when you go!

F-ing hilarious!

1 Like

Did the server ever tell you how you were supposed to eat it?

No specific instructions. The serve just gave a lengthy description of the dish. I assume the default protocol of put-food-into-mouth-and-chew applied here. But then after I did that, I saw that there was this bed of crispy stuff on the bottom of the plate which also looked edible.

I believe those are just buckwheat which ties in the buckwheat galette used in the amuse.

1 Like

impressive

Boo to him for the lack of an alcohol license.

Auburn is really delicious.
I took no pics.
I will add nothing else except I loved my 4 course tasting menu.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

3 Likes

The CB seal of approval.

1 Like

Using the @J_L rating system.

1 Like