Audrey at the Hammer (Westwood): A Pictorial Essay

Weren’t most of the permanent-collection galleries closed for a year or two?

Great reviews, J.L. and CiaoBob. Was very curious about Audrey. Thanks!

1 Like

I always go for the exhibits or the Billy Wilder Theater. I have a very casual relationship with the Hammer. I stop in on a whim when in the area, usually.
It’s where I saw Judy Chicago’s The Dinner Party and a restored version Red Shoes.
I think the place is great. Evidently I don’t need no stinkin’ permanent collection.

And admission (to the museum) is free!

6 Likes

As is use of the ping-pong table.

2 Likes

What?! The Hammer should host the first ever FTC ping pong championships!

3 Likes

They should at least comp the parking - it was 7 bucks last night.

Stop complaining. That’s like 15 minutes at a metered spot. :slight_smile:

Pro-tip: Park on the streets south of Wilshire and walk over.

2 Likes

What distance are you talking, JL? I know that there are cities where people are more and less inclined to walk very far.

2 /3 blocks through the mean streets of westwood

1 Like

Contrary to popular opinion, because of the insane workout culture demanded by this town, Angelenos’ legs have not yet evolved to retract back into the torso from lack of use.

Ergo, a brisk walk of a few city blocks remains theoretically possible. And this is especially so for all us transplants from the East Coast, where we walked to and from school in giraffe-deep snow, uphill, both ways.

3 Likes

Westwood: Always up to no good… Be sure to steer clear of Math Prodigy (& tenured Prof) Terry Tao, and don’t forget to dodge all those pre-meds trying to get to the library.

3 Likes

Fun fact:

At Wilshire x Gayley in 1966 Bruce Lee and his wife/son moved into apartment after he secured the role of Kato in the Green Hornet

Marilyn Monroe is buried around at Pierce Brothers Cemetary across from the Hammer Museum.

2 Likes

One of the best FREE things to see in LA.

Sure the Getty has views (and the Getty Villa)…but waiting 30-45 minutes in your car on Sepulveda, tiny ass spaces in the parking structure, and disrespectful visitors makes it a pain in the ass.

I got to enjoy my Van Gogh’s in peace at the Hammer

2 Likes

I hate the very idea of the museum in the hill looking down upon the masses so I just don’t care for the Getty. I think the building is ugly, except for the beautiful gardens that were put in over the architects objections.

But I’m a philistine.

It looks like I need to visit the Hammer for the permanent collection pronto.

The Hammer is one of our favorite things to do on a mid morning Sunday before we wander off to food adventures. It’s a cozy space that’s fun to check out.

1 Like

I wish they would expand the photography exhibits at the Getty which are usually pretty great

1 Like

Wow! Looks great. Cant wait to try it.

The Daily Bruin is not impressed by the food:

…but they like the cocktails.

I’m not sure about the Denny’s comparison… although I haven’t been to Denny’s in a while, so maybe they’re serving “lamb meatball sandwich[es]” now.