August 2016 Weekend Rundown

Great! That Peaches & Cream looked like the perfect finale.

Early Bird (Fullerton)
Frank Floyd - roasted portobello, sautéed spinach, smoked salmon, poached egg, bernaise; salad; broiled tomato

Duck confit hash - duck confit, skillet potatoes, arugula, sunny side up eggs

Double stack griddle cakes - strawberries and house-made whipped cream

S’mores pancakes (special) - chocolate, toasted marshmallows

9 Likes

Yeah, I know. Like @Chowseeker1999 I was a little focused on trying to fit the DOTM into my meal and kind of forgot about what they’re known for. Plus I saw that Pileli go by and had to have it. But it did have tiny dumplings in it :wink:.

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:23, topic:3912”]
This place still cracks us up. We last stopped by this place in the San Gabriel Valley maybe 3 years ago? It still looks like a bordello or something really gaudy. :pensive:
[/quote]I love that. But I’ve always been secretly into kitsch.

Ah shoot, that SideChick place is JLee’s? Should’ve popped in…

PANN’S
Finally made it to Pann’s for the Patty Melt / Onion Rings. Write-up over here, but spoiler alert: IT WAS GREAT.

CHUBBY RICE

General Tso’s Chicken (with Fried Rice & Egg Roll)

Chop Suey with BBQ Pork (with Chow Mein & Egg Roll)

An assortment of house made sauces

VEGGIE GRILL
We tried the mediterranean salad from their Summer Menu, but it’s not worth veering from the Veggie Grill staples that are typically pretty solid. The dish was way too sweet, and they only give you three tiny lil falafel ballz. Live and learn and then get Luvs, I s’pose.

5 Likes

Such a great pizza. And such a good picture!

2 Likes

looks like you guys had an excellent weekend.

my mcdouble was equally as delicious.

1 Like

*Yin :relieved:

now that pizza is definitely a vegetable

1 Like

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:20, topic:3912”]
Kettle Black
[/quote]I just read the write-up on eater. You always find cook stuff… and good bathrooms apparently. Did you enjoy the meal?

Thanks, @President_Mochi! :blush: There is no finer pizza during the summer months. Otherwise, eating a normal pizza would induce a severe food coma.

Just trying to do my part and eat my five a day of veg, @PorkyBelly! :grin:

2 Likes

Hi @MaladyNelson,

Or you can get your veggies via umai tempura! :wink:

(courtesy tabelog)

3 Likes

Good lord, that vegetable tempura looks amazing, @Chowseeker1999! Many thanks!

1 Like

Yah I want to try Kondo one day. :slight_smile:

Have you found many good places locally for great tempura?

Friday work breakfast from NY Deli on National in Palms. Not the most traditional, but it was tasty. Garlic bagel, spicy cream cheese, avocado with lemon pepper. Got some sliced turkey breast on the side and after I got to work, laid it on top after the pic.

At BKK101, ordered a variety of dishes, papaya salad, tom kah soup, spicy clams and thai sausage featured as a special. I liked the Thai sausage. Not as sour as some of the more traditional ones I’ve had but it was a good take. Something akin to a regular bbq style sausage and a thai sausage.

Had some chili fries and a cheeseburger at Everest in Glendale for breakfast before a movie.

Had some bbq at Ray’s bbq. link to the stand alone post with pics

3 Likes

The food wasn’t bad, i liked the meatball sandwich the best, the pizza was a lil doughy i would have liked more crispness, and the garganelli was ok.

The space is really nice with a bunch of outdoor seating. It would be a good place for happy hour before a bang bang.

Oh and it’s in the heart of silver lake so you have to deal with those damn hamsters.

1 Like

That is some seriously beautiful tempura. Where did you get it?

1 Like

Oops, I meant cool stuff :slight_smile:. I thought I detected a little luke warmness to you report… the cheese thing was funny though. The space looks nice. My niece’s bday is at the end of the month. She lives in Silver Lake and we wanted to take her and her partner someplace cool. We took them to Cliff’s Edge last year, but were hoping for something less pricey, but still fun.

…And what on earth is a “damn hamster”?