August 2019 Weekend Rundown

1 Like

Enrollment into their rewards program (1921 club) is only open every once in a while. I actually enrolled a few years ago but still haven’t gone despite living so close to their SM location.

Ginger’s has a really good ice cream right now.

Also this one, which was too sweet for me, but others really liked it.

Still no peach, plum or cherry ice cream, @CiaoBob! Like last year. I wonder why not.

@PorkyBelly. There is bacon ice cream. I wasn’t able to get a photo, but if you are in this part of town, you may want to drop in. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had some peach ice cream a few times at Ginger’s this season. Must have been bad luck you missed it :anguished: (or good luck I didn’t).

2 Likes

Nice @attran99!!!

This place looks great.

Pliny the Elder, Father’s Office (Helms location)…

First-of-the-season matsutake dobinmushi, Kiriko (Sawtelle Japantown)…

Seafood nabe, Aki Japanese Restaurant (West LA)…

Take-out unagi don, because eel rice is power food for the summer, from Mitsuwa Market (Mar Vista)…

Roasted farmer’s market vegetables, necco (Westwood)… Even this unabashed omnivore had no hesitation to declare this plate as simply outstanding!

Pre-Takomakase bang-bang at Church & State!

Endive-frisee en salade, with figs, marcona almond, and bleu le ganix, from Church & State (Arts District)…

Ballotine de poulet roti, with pine nut puree, morel mushrooms, from Church & State (Arts District)…

Tarte tatin, with peach sorbet, canela, chile, from Church & State (Arts District)…

Guerrilla Tacos Tacomakase!

Ramon Bravo: El Silencio mezcal, St. George green chili, vodka, salted agave, charred pineapple, El Yucateco sals picante verde, tortilla salt… @CiaoBob’s mixology hit-of-the-month! Beautimous.

Potato gnochetti with XO ragu, krill, jellyfish, and pea tendrils… Scrumptious! Chef Wes stopped by to chat with us. His comment: “Not bad for a Mexican, huh?” :smiley:

Beef and beef tendon noodle soup, with chilled cucumbers, pork guotie (potstickers), black sesame mochi in osmanthus broth, fried rice cakes with red bean & sesame sauce, from Noodle Harmony (Monterey Park)… Delicious!

Lanzhou beef noodle (medium spicy), with wide lamian (hand-pulled dough), tea egg, cucumbers, and watermelon juice, from Lan Noodles (Arcadia)… This is THE classic Lanzhou preparation, with clean tastes, and all “five colors” plainly represented. BUT I still liked the lanzhou-style noodles from Northern Cafe MP better.

11 Likes

Nice JL!

I been curious about Lan and Noodle Harmony.

Seafood nabe at Aki might be a good choice for a meal out when I’m in town next week :yum:

1 Like

SGV Triple Bang

Noodle Harmony

House Special Beef Noodles and Cucumbers.

Cucumbers were great! Vinegary, slightly sweet, and garlicky. Very nice!

Beef Noodles. These were okay for me. Glad to try it.

Big Softee

Tofu Flower

Taste just like the dessert!!!

I just wish this place at least keep a signature flavor. When will I ever try their HK Milk Tea?

Litz

Holy hell the Singapore Noodles!!!

Great aroma when this plate hit the table!!! Wok breathe flavor is strong and that mix of squid/shrimp/egg/sprouts/ham is awesome. You must put some of that chilli oil in this dish!

The decor is old lol but I find it charming in a way. The Canto Aunties here are sweet too. Whoever is manning that wok making those Singapore Noodles, I love you! @moonboy403

Portuguese Baked Chicken…I just wanted to try it, it was okay.

The Milk Tea…okay, you are going to want to get this as Hong Kong Cafe down the street the ladies there make it right!!!

2 Likes

Glad you like it! It’s THE thing to get there…right @PorkyBelly?

I think Litz makes their own. But yes, Singaporean noodle + chili oil is the ultimate combo!

2 Likes

With a side of roasted pork belly and duck from ruby’s.

2 Likes

ruby’s duck, litz singaporean noodle, tokyo fried chicken bang bang bang?

2 Likes

Anepalco - Orange (Chapman location)

Guacamole - hass avocado, cherry tomatoes, serrano, red onion, cotija cheese, roasted pineapple

Started with some guacamole, really enjoyed the grilled pineapple they added. The salty bite of the cotija cheese really made the pineapple pop in flavor. The slightly bitter char on the pineapple provided a thoughtful balance to it.

Spanish Octopus tacos - huitlacohe, oaxaca cheese, corn, puya chile, micro cilantro :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

These are always fuckin great. Some of the best tasting tacos anywhere and who knew corn fungus and octopus go so well together.

Chicken Mole tacos - artisanal mole, Mary’s chicken, queso fresco, sour cream, sesame seeds, onion

Good stuff, a bit restrained in flavor with deep bold and robust flavors with a nice heat. These tacos are monstrous.

Tamaen - Lomita

Back at it for my beef fat fix.

Tamaen Original Salad - Lettuce, Asparagus, Paprika, Tomato, Egg

A nice palate cleanser with the right amount of acidity to tame the richness of the meat. It was also super refreshing to the palate as it was cold and offered a totally different crunchy texture than any of the other items ordered.

Sea Urchin Beef Sushi - sea urchin roe, raw beef, rice, wasabi and oba leaf :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Excellent as usual! The green wasabi on the top makes it a healthy. Super smooth, sweet uni, meltingly tender beef complimented with flavors of oba leaf and wasabi to make it pop. No teeth needed to eat. The rice was sort of just there, didn’t add nor subtract but perhaps the slightly warm temperature did warm the beef to the right temperature? Not sure, but the temperature it was served was crucial to the success of the dish in my opinion.

Assorted Vegatable platter - sweet potato, kabocha, shiitake, carrot, corn, shishito peppers, onion

Need a foil to soak up beef fat.

American Wagyu Cube Cut Ribeye :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

This was really good, although the outside skirt I had last visit was equally as good.

American Wagyu High Quality Cube Cut Tongue

Must order. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: tongue on tongue action make it French Wagyu?

Dry Aged A5 Kobe Beef Tenderloin :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Really good, slight funk with a nutty quality and the wasabi actually brought out the beef flavor even more. Excellent although for the price, I would rather order plates and plates of the wagyu tongue.

:drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

Another tasty fuckin meal. Return visit inevitable.

11 Likes

Nice report @A5KOBE! :yum:

1 Like

That yakiniku looks crazy good!
Thanks

1 Like

Tried a 3x1 yesterday, I think the ratios are all wrong. 2x1 and 3x2 are superior.

2 Likes

With very little fanfare or PR Santouka Ramen opened up in the Brea Mall. Yes Brea, CA. The mall that is 5 minutes from my house. Best thing that’s happened to me since (food wise) besides WF and Bristol opening up in North OC. There is also a Hai Di Lao hot pot in the Brea Mall. It’s all happening.

11 Likes

Standings / Burger Daddy pop up Double single burger - flat patties but super super juicy!

The spoils of a shopping trip at Standings
Cherry chipotle sausages; Hainanese chicken sausages

Delectable lamb chops

Mori Sushi omakase

I’ll probably post the entire meal in one of the specific threads
Highlights: The wide variety of fish
Lowlights: pricing, the food only portion of my meal pre tax, pre tip, pre drink, was more than the post tip SGO price

Koshi no Kanbai choto kusen

Pickled iwashi (marinaded like kohada) was a highlight

Night+Market Sahm

Looking at the main thread, a lot of folks aren’t fans. This is my second meal at a Night+Market and have personally enjoyed both

The light was really challenging for pics
Sautéed greens - spices added some nice kick

Spicy pork and crab curry (on the specials menu)

Startled pig

Clams (on the special menu)

Capital Seafood BH I think their dim sum is as well executed as any I’ve visited in LA recently (which is maybe a testament to declining quality levels elsewhere)

One of our favorite savory dim sum dishes - shrimp and chive dumplings

9 Likes

ouch. i felt the same way.

1 Like