August 2019 Weekend Rundown

Popeyes Red Beans and Rice is the best chain fast food side.

5 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Ah so YOU were the reason there was a massive line outside Popeyes? :wink: How many orders did you get? :smile: (j/k)

Yah I was wondering what was going on. We drove by one Popeye’s and saw a massive line of people out the door for dining inside, and a massive line of cars for the drive-through. We thought they were doing some special Free Giveaway Promotion or something. So it was just for the hype on this sandwich? Crazy!

Thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to @Haeldaur’s post, we went to Colapasta for lunch, and it was fantastic. The pasta was the perfect texture, and the sauces were really homey and flavorful (and not salt bombs).

Farmers salad

Gramigna Bolognese

Calamarata al Pomodoro, Stracciatella e Origano

8 Likes

Sweetkend:

Tarte aux pommes, from the penultimate dinner service at Kass - It will be missed.

Venn donuts: This is the one time of the year when The Donut Man offers both strawberry AND peach donuts!

7 Likes

Dim sum at Happy Harbor. 40 minute wait at 11am. More crowded when we left at 12:30. Mandatory tea charge for everybody at the table including my 6 and 8 year old. My kids aren’t too dim sum adventurous so we usually get the stand bys. Not the most photogenic or well plated but everything was tasty. Our favorites were the ribs in abalone sauce, har gow, noodles in xo as sauce and steamed pork buns. I’ve lived in Brea for 10 years and this was our first time here. Big mistake.

7 Likes

Are you secretly David Chang? lol just heard him say the same thing on a podcast recently

1 Like

went Friday to a pop up by Miles Thompson at Civic Coffee in Highland Park. This was a communal dinner and bought tickets online. $85 BYOB. Served family style, I don’t remember but i think there were 8 courses. He is currently running a Popup at Valerie Confections in Echo Park, but an ala carte menu.

Highlights were the following:

Sweet and sour melon with hickory smoked trout

Grilled bread with sumac tahini and spicy fennel and sour beer pork sausage (sumac tahini not pictured)

Seared swordfish with xipister sauce

Also not pictured (I forgot to take a pic) was the fresh green peanut salad with blackberries and cooked Sichuan Chile oil.

Delicious stuff! You can follow on Instagram at @the.table.at.july

5 Likes

my god that looks great

1 Like

Cafe Magazzino’s (Burbank)
I haven’t been to this place in years. It’s since moved to a prime location on Riverside along many of the restaurants serving the Media District. Their Arabo sandwich with melted Brie, sautéed spinach, and balsamic dressing on toasted olive bread is still delicious, and their vegan tortilla soup remains very tasty…I still don’t know how they get it to be so rich and creamy while also being vegan. One of my favorite lunches when I originally worked in this neighborhood.

2 Likes

Evidently they do the flat and the point. Point was way better for me.

5 Likes

Light lunch today at Bludsos at Proudbird.
Hot links were juicy. Great bite. Nice lingering spice but not overwhelming. My favorite of the meats.
Ribs had a vey heavy rub coating. They were well smoked and separated from the bone easily like they should be.
Brisket was moist and juicy. Good ratio of fat. Feels like the meat was not cut properly across the grain. Hard to tell from these pictures. Less rub on these than the ribs.

Not as good as the OG Bludsos but still one of the top places for BBQ in LA.

3 Likes

kali

got the eight course chef’s tasting menu and supplemented with the whole smoked squab. the tasting menu was very good but the highlight of the night was the insanely great squab from the squab king, gary carpenter. the unfledged fowl was incredibly soft and juicy and one of the best i’ve ever had; it was the bomb squab. @Chowseeker1999, @CiaoBob, @moonboy403, @J_L, @beefnoguy, @bookwich, @chewchow

pige-on

pige-off

13 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Looks wonderful, thanks for the info! :slight_smile: Did they say if it was going to be on the menu for a while?

1 Like

they didn’t mention it being a limited time thing but maybe you can call and reserve one just in case.

1 Like

I’m calling and reserving three. This is one of my favorite childhood food memories.

What is the seasoning?

1 Like

Amazebird!

Half of Hancock Park will faint at the sight of the head and feet!

4 Likes

Oh really? Nice! I wasn’t sure if it was clever promotion. I agree about their red beans & rice @JeetKuneBao. The best fast food chain side! I crave it more than the chicken.

not sure, maybe just salt.

Mix Mix Kitchen in OC has a great Wine Wednesday special, i wish i could’ve taken advantage but i try not to drink on weekdays since i still have to drive back home to LA County.
They have a $49 prix fixe 4 course menu and on Wednesday they throw in a wine pairing for free, which is about a $20 value

i did the Bib Gourmand menu which is 3 courses for $39. i added the Chicharrones with spicy vinegar for $3.

Chicharrones with Spicy Vinegar

Pork Cheek Adobo, Garlic fried rice, chimichurri

Barramundi, gigante beans, bilbao chorizo, calabrian chili emulsion, squash, cherry tomato

Tropical Verrine (a take on Filipino classic Halo Halo) - coconut panna cotta, tropical fruit, mango sorbet, ube ice cream, macadamia nuts

8 Likes

Perfect! The name “Kali” always makes me think of Indian food.