August 2020 Rundown

Chef Johnny Lee’s Sorrowful Rice ( 黯然銷魂飯 ) was one of the tastiest things I’ve ever had from Pearl River Deli. The choice loin cut for the char siu was a perfect balance of lean and fat. A cup of Chef Johnny’s traditional HK-style herbal tea undoubtedly helped balance out the “yeet hay” on this summer afternoon! #YinYangRestoration #JustTheRightYeetHayWithChrisHei

In true fanboy fashion, I even brought my own folding chair to Pearl River Deli to commemorate the occasion… #BYOFC #PRDcosplay #AmongTheTop7Weapons #EvenThePoliceCannotArrestYou The HK milk tea was spot on in execution.

The char siu juice in the rice tasted ridiculous! Sooo much goodness, it brought a tear to my eye.

Macau Pork Chop Bun: Tried and true winner. Today was no different. Boss.

Kunming Cold Noodle: A very apropos summer offering from the kitchen. #YunnanStyle

Soy Chicken Leg: As take-out, when added to a simple bowl of steamed rice and pretty much any vegetable, I find this chicken to be a worthy centerpiece for a quick and tasty meal.

Yunnan Fried Rice: Delicious! The recent FTC deliberations on the nuances of something so “simple” as fried rice really helped me appreciate the wonderful multitudes of flavor here. Though not 宣威火腿 or Xuanwei ham (Broadbent aged ham was employed in this dish), the complexity of today’s rice was readily apparent. Loved the addition of the potatoes. Do not miss this fried rice.

Chari Siu Chow Fun: The char siu really kicked butt in this dish. #EnjoyingWokHayWithChrisHei

Team PRD is on fire.

27 Likes

Hi @J_L,

Your own folding chair! :smile: Nice. Great pics and write-up as usual. :slight_smile:

1 Like

PRD aka FTC Canteen

6 Likes

I tried to get Chef Johnny to pose for a photo with the chair in a menacing manner just for sidechicks and giggles. But then we went through a time machine where we saw the alternate future, complete with “Folding Chair-Gate”, featuring an excoriating Eater exposé, and thought better of it…

7 Likes

Because the parking sitch is fabulous there.

Mango Ice Cream from Antico… Really nice. A bit understated for my taste, but no worries - some freshly-cut honey mango pieces helped it achieve true greatness.

Nectarine Shortcake from Clementine (Century City)… Terrific summer treat! The perfectly ripe nectarine, the crumbly shortcake and the whipped heavy cream all tie together for sweet and luxurious bites.

Dinner take-out from Marino Ristorante… Sal and his very able crew are quietly (or not so quietly?) cranking out some of the best and most consistently solid Italian fare in the city. Do not be too shy to ask for crudos with your order. The tomatoes right now pretty much all come from Sal’s own garden. Marino offers a “Wednesday Tomato Dinner” series during summer.

Sapp Coffee Shop (Thai Town)…

Their Jade Noodle keeps calling to me. It is beautiful to behold, even in a take-out box (double-order pictured). Mixing all the goodies up and indulging in that first taste is always, always like re-living a marvelous voyage to Thailand!

Pandan alert! Their off-menu Pandan Leaf Drink is probably the most refreshing thing to drink right now. With full ice, it becomes a sort of an exotic Southeast Asian slushee. But next time, I think I’ll order it “easy ice” for an even greater blast from the pandan!

Shrimp Fried Rice with Yellow Curry Powder… I could not stop eating this rice. The flavor of the complex curry here is not overpowering, and so evenly infused into each fragrant grain. I used a bit of extra sliced cucumber (黃瓜) from my own backyard veggie patch to prolong the ecstasy…

Sen Chan Pad Pu (rice noodles with chili garlic, crab meat and egg)… “Khawp khun khrap!” for the recommendation @JuneKeetBao! The daring use of tamarind and chili garlic was gorgeous. After this, I don’t think I can ever have plain Pad Thai again…

22 Likes

Had to hit up Dong Il Jang one last time. Really sad to see them close.

16 Likes

All Day Baby - Silverlake

I’d been looking for a lost debit card for a while, had mentally traced my steps and was just about to cancel it then remembered last using it at Forage while waiting for my Needle Char Siu order. I was so happy they had it that I sprung for some expensive rice from their market table.

The other thing I remembered was having seen All Day Baby on the way home from Needle, and also how much @attran99 loves it, so…

ADB Biscuit Sandwich - Scrambled Eggs, American Cheese, Strawberry Jam, Nueske’s Bacon

I mean, how great can a Breakfast Biscuit really be? Answer is, really, really great! The big, buttery, flaky biscuit, fluffy eggs, melty cheese, sweet touch of strawberry jam and, drumroll, that thick smoked Nueske’s bacon! :hearts: I intended on taking one or two bites and did indeed take one or two bites… all day baby until it was gone. :blush:

ADB Breakfast Burrito - Longaniza Sausage, Refried Beans, Fried Eggs, Jack Cheese

This I did just take one bite of and delicious continues. That med-fried, yolky egg :blush: and longaniza like a smokey, spicy chorizo. Hubby loved it.

Tacos Drama Salsa Roja

Concentrated tomato, big chile heat, maybe a little oil and a surprisingly strong tang from lime or vinegar. Very good!

14 Likes

Glad you like the Sen Chan Pad Pu! It’s hard to go back to basic Pad Thai after that. While noodle dishes are the star here, the stir fry dishes are pretty solid. The ice in the drinks is pretty characteristic of them, it’s great for the first few minutes but yes it will water down pretty quick, might be fine for Thai Tea/Coffee but with the delicate flavor of pandan the suggestion for less ice is ideal.

That Pandan drink looks to be up your alley @Chowseeker1999

4 Likes

Nectarine short cake looks insane :exploding_head::exploding_head:

1 Like

Works great for lao gan ma holder.

14 Likes

It is among the top 7 LGM holders.

6 Likes

Popeyes Chicken sandwich

9 Likes

Either thats a small chair or a big jar of LGM

5 Likes

That’s the “Ma of all Lao Gan Ma”…

4 Likes

A Ma gnum sized LGM

4 Likes

Where do you buy mega size lao ma gan?

Costco.

1 Like

H Mart of all places.

1 Like

Lol didn’t realize it the first time - 700g!