Aunt Jemima brand retired by Quaker due to racial stereotype

2 Likes

Looking forward to Trump’s tweet slamming Pepsi / Quaker Oats.

Speaking of which, are Quakers cool with this?

3 Likes

More:

1 Like

I’m afraid we might have a Rachel Dolezal-type situation here.

1 Like

Mixed feelings about the Aunt Jemima thing. The image is pretty benign now. But I’m surprised Cream of Wheat having not changed the imagery has flown under the radar this long. Maybe because nobody eats Cream of Wheat anymore? :grimacing: No reason not to change it as there’s no name connection.

1 Like

Yah, I never thought of Mrs Butterworth as a mammy.

1 Like

I never knew Mrs.Butterworth as anything but a talking syrup bottle.

4 Likes

Mrs. Butterworth was my favorite syrup growing up. The product gives as a lot of warm memories. And I honestly didn’t see the bottle or the commercials the way it is now…to me the figure represented an auntie or grandma who enjoyed cooking for their family/friends. Perhaps I grew up naive.

2 Likes

This is so great it going to help tremendously.

Hey bud… we’re tearing it all down - big and small, Inconsequential or not. You’ll live. Big hug.

5 Likes

Then me too. Uncle Ben? Yes. Aunt Jemima dressed like Mammy? Yes! That toothpaste thing? Hell yeah. Mrs B? I never read or heard it until today. Maybe it’s a small group. We tend to think one person with a pen or a small group with a platform speaks for everyone. Then again, we could be wrong. It will be interesting to see how well the syrup sells if the bottle is no longer shaped like grandma.

2 Likes

I know , I know , . I’m going out to have some fabulous Mexican food . The Jewish couple on 57th street make outrageous latkes . On and on . I dont look at color . I loved the people I have worked with . The brothers who would come from Mexico as young adults . Coming across the border hanging on underneath a railroad car for hours just to be here . Some of my best friends. I want Mexican food now . Their mom would smuggle across certain ingredients for the best mole . What the fuck is happening. There is absolutely no plan other than be rats in a cage and eat each other. Sorry if anyone is offended.

Awareness is the plan. Disrupting life is the plan. Keeping the pressure on until legislation is passed is the plan. If no change happens and we learn nothing and end up eating each other, so be it.

3 Likes

Looks like were traveling the road to that .

1 Like

These products are all industrial crap anyway. Who cares?

1 Like

Yeah, like we need more high-fructose corn syrup.

1 Like

It’s so weird . I have so many native friends where I live . They have no problem calling themselves Indian . This is one culture that has been beat to shit .

They better not touch the Lucky Charms leprechaun.

2 Likes