Avoiding infection from food & grocery deliveries

Unlike some things commonly recommended by amateur “wellness” sites, that probably won’t hurt you, but it’s a waste of money.

2 Likes

I suppose with things like oranges or pineapple, it can’t hurt too much to do a quick rinse in soap water, since you’re not eating the exterior anyways. Egg shells too? Parsley and other raw toppings pose a problem. I’ve mostly been cooking tomatoes and other vegetables, while avoiding salad.
I would try the grapefruit extract thing at least once.

I’ve seen that article which is not well cited. I prefer to go by research like the research I linked to the published, peer reviewed research. There are others if you query. Again, not proven ask COVID-19.

Most articles that oppose it are about ingesting GSE in pill form. But it has been shown in laboratories to kill other viruses such as the bird flu.

These are all in vitro result. (many compounds, extracts, natural products etc. kill virus in vitro but have no effects in vivo and/or humans. (We can kill nearly every cancer in vitro (and to a certain degree in most xenograft models) but still have little effect on most human cancers. There is no clinical trial I am aware of to show any beneficial effect of GSE.

You don’t need to use a disinfectant on your produce, so it’s irrelevant whether an expensive one favored by “wellness” cranks is effective.

1 Like

I read the article. It says "there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with food.” This is something I’ve read a lot in different wording. We can’t deny it’s implying something with little alternative possibility, that eating contaminated food won’t give you the virus. That’s what it is clearly stating.

That said, if an infected person were to cough all over their hands, rub up and down a stalk of celery, hamburger bun, or whatever, and then I definitely eat the touched part… These articles are suggesting that I would still not catch the virus. It’s as if they’re saying it gets vaporized the minute it touches the surface of a fruit. I can’t come to any other conclusion, unless someone can point out something I missed.

I get that direct contact with an infected person’s breathing area is the biggest danger, but I would hope they don’t declare later that they overlooked a deceptively safe looking area, and made a mistake, to find eating contaminated food to be the real culprit. I just wish there were more data on this topic.

The patterns would be different if food or surfaces were infecting a significant number of people. Certain restaurants, grocers, and elevators would be traced as the source of clusters of infections.

1 Like

Well I hope all the traceable data has been accurate enough, and not confused with intertwining threads. I’ve wondered if too much attention has been placed on avoiding people, creating lack of attention towards objects and surfaces.
Something I’ve been thinking about more, is if you touch a contaminated piece of fruit, then touch your nose or mouth with your own hands. This doesn’t even include eating.

Why would you touch a piece of unwashed fruit and then touch your face before washing your hands?

For instance, you wash your hands with soap so they are definitely clean… Then you touch a contaminated fruit that was either sitting for 3 ‘safe’ days, or rinsed only in water. Then you eat it after, and touch your nose or mouth. I’m curious if this is safe.

Seems like the industry agrees.

1 Like

If you wash fruit in water, it’s safe.

1 Like