Baco Mercat - For the Lovers

After my meal at Manresa in 2008, I swore I’d never do that kind of 25-canape again, but I broke my vow and ate at Saison in 2012. I’d go back to Saison any time, if someone else were paying.

I’m not sure what it was called. We got it in March, it had eggplant, something like lebne, and something that was like muhammara but I think when I asked the server said there was no pomegranate molasses.

3 Likes

That is fascinating. What made Saison different for you?

I went to Saison but haven’t posted about it. Best meal of my life for sure. I’m just curious. I actually like tasting menus personally.

I didn’t feel overfed at Saison. It was like omakase at a great sushi bar.

Except for one item that was presented on a piece of plastic wrap stretched over the top of a glass, I’m not sure there was anything that used ingredients or techniques that were not available in the 19th century. I much prefer that to mad-scientist modernist deconstruction, trompe-l’œil, and so on.

1 Like

Wow Aesthete. I haven’t been nor have I paid much attention to Baco Mercat. But that was some good writing.

Deleted

[quote=“robert, post:15, topic:3915”]
Dunno. Not my kind of thing. Kinch is a great chef but I avoid tasting-menu-only places. Crenn’s food seems absurd to me and even people I know who liked their meals there thought some of the dishes didn’t work, which I think is unacceptable at that price.
[/quote]Well… now that was a nice morsel of someone’s truth.

I can only live vicariously thru you guys. And I know this thread is exhausted. But my favorite meal would be a tray of canapé. Do tell, what does that statement mean?

1 Like

I like it, and so did 19th century epicures. Crêpe Suzette or pêche Melba, anyone? Perhaps mille-feuille?

And of course, we must have dinner first.

1 Like

Is Kinch a great chef? I tested the waters at Bywater recently… hard to call the food even worth reviewing. It is hard for me to imagine a chef of much worth attaching their name to such a place. I have been sufficiently scared off from bothering with Manresa.

I’m glad someone enjoyed it haha

I know the place has very few fans here, but it was an impactful meal.

1 Like

Of the Centeno empire, @Aesthete, which is your current favorite?

I was sure they wouldn’t be slammed for Father’s Day and they are not. Great place when you’re hungry for vegetables.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever had a good meal at Baco Mercat.

I regret every time I’m dragged there, especially with so many better options in the immediate vicinity.

1 Like

If one ordered at random, I’m not sure what one’s chances of having a good meal would be, but they do a great job with vegetables.

I do not order randomly.

And if one wants vegetables, just go around the corner to sister restaurant PYT.

I’ll try PYT. It didn’t exist when I got to like Baco.

wow really? I love Baco Mercat, but granted I’m not going with the highest expectations. It’s not a destination place but if you live in the neighborhood/within walking distance, it’s great for a filling and tasty meal with good drinks.

necro bump, but saw this and couldn’t help but have a different opinion – also only went to Manresa and Bywater once each. Manresa perhaps was somewhat overrated, doesn’t truly feel like a 3-star michelin place, but Bywater was a lot of fun, really liked the cocktails and oyster po boys. Manresa Bread was also fun to check out. YMMV, I guess.

went recently for dinner and it was a really enjoyable meal, great execution.

Medicina (tequila, lemon, ginger, honey, mezcal spritz; a play on a Penicillin), Salt & Honey (scotch, grilled pineapple juice, lavender-honey shrub, lemon, orange bitters, sea salt). Both excellent, well-made by our bartender on that night.
IMG_3217

Protein-style fried chicken schnitzel baco (with tomato sauce, mozzarella, garlic aioli). $17. tasty but in retrospect, poor decision to go protein-style – the lettuce was adequate overall, but if you’re eating here, may as well go big or go home and get the legit baco bread.
IMG_3221

“Caesar” brussels sprouts (pecorino, anchovy, garlic, croutons). $14. one of the standout dishes of the night, had that pecorino/anchovy funk interacting with the slightly nutty brussels sprouts flavor. memorable, excellent execution.
IMG_3222

“Bäzole” soup. (house-made noodle, pork and chicken-chile broth, carne picada, peanut, pork chicarrón, harissa-shoyu egg). $21. A play on ramen with clear Thai/Mexican influences, this was deftly done and a standout, as well, unexpectedly. Only in LA, only from someone like Josef Centeno.
IMG_3223

Bäco bread with meatballs, burrata, pine nuts, raisins. $15. The meatballs and burrata were tasty and good with the bread, would like to try the other variations as well, however.
IMG_3225

Pistachio cheesecake (creme fraiche, sea salt aleppo). $12. interesting flavors with that mediterranean influence.
IMG_3229

Overall we really enjoyed the meal, don’t think I could expect much better from a place where I can just walk in and have this level of creativity and execution with enjoyable drinks.

2 Likes