Bacoshop, the Platform, and the Next Wave of Culver's Transformation

Points well taken as always. As I say, I think what really makes me bristle is the “food desert” description. I’ve been to food deserts where there literally are no options except horrible chains in a several mile radius. Whatever you think of CC’s dining options, it’s not that.

In terms of geography, I tried to track the areas mentioned in the OP. If we expand the boundaries to include CC as a whole, the OP’s argument becomes even less tenable.

Ultimately, the question for me is this: If someone asked me for food recommendations in that immediate downtown CC area, I would have no trouble coming up with a list of several options off the top of my head. They might not be destination dining, but they’re eminently chow-worthy.

1 Like

Hatchet Hall is totally in Culver City, unless you didn’t live in Culver City when you were a kid,

Chop Daddy’s closed in Venice an Culver City because of bad fiscal management, not because it wasn’t good food or popular.

1 Like

The area that Hatchet Hall is located IS Culver City. I think I acknowledged that, but only politically. This area is such a narrow strip of Culver City - one block in width, then helter skelter on the south side of Washington. The CC govt usurped/annexed this narrow strip along Washington for reasons I already mentioned.

Some streets south of Washington are Culver City, some are not. Some blocks of streets are CC, some are LA. I know this because I knew a lot of kids in this general neighborhood. I went to LAUSD schools with some of these kids, while others went to CCSD.

The same is true for the neighborhood around Mesmer. I had a friend who lived on Etheldo. His home was in the middle of the block and right on the border of LA/CC. His next door neighbor went to CCSD, while my friend went to LAUSD. Moreover, while the rest of his side of the the street is CC, all the homes across the street are LA. The next street - Emporia - is split as well. The south side is LA, while the north side is CC where my cousin lived and went to CCSD. There are even some blocks by CC high school that are LA. I had a long time classmate who lived less than a block from the CCHS athletic field, but had to go to LAUSD Westside schools - go figure.

To confuse issues even more which bolsters my point, the post office deemed areas 90230 by contiguous geography, whether the areas were LA or CC politically, while deeming other areas 90066 for the same issues - geographic contiguity.

The CC gerrymandering and the post office’s conflicting issues confused City services for both LA and CC, particularly emergency services.

My parents live in LA but has a 90230 zip code. They called the LAPD years ago because they heard shots fired. After giving their address, the dispatcher said my parents needed to contact CCPD - that they are in CC. Despite my parents explaining the zip code issue and insisting that they lived in LA, the dispatcher refused to send a unit.

They then called the CCPD and got the same treatment but because the CC dispatcher was fully aware of the crazy borders of CC. She called the LAPD Pacific division for my parents and things got sorted out. This was a regular issue in all these areas with conflicting city/zip codes until computers were able to sort these issues out.

If this isn’t bad enough, some businesses are partially in both CC and LA. Placement of their cash registers can actually make a difference in their city tax liability.

Geographically, the area that Hatchet Hall located is considered Del Rey, which is even unknown to many residents. So many think this area is part of Mar Vista, which actually begins to the north of Venice Blvd. Whatever the case, this general area is a real cluster&*#! in terms of political jurisdiction and geographic reference.

4 Likes

I will heartily disagree with that statement. It was bad food, bad bbq.

Yes, as a relatively new resident to the area, barely 10 years, we’re continually baffled and amused by all these boundaries.

This was very interesting. I shared your info with some friends while we were having brunch at The Overland.

Useless trivia to most​:sleeping:. :blush:

2 Likes

I posted a few times on CH but don’t remember posting here. I am a 23 year resident of CC. I am amused by some of the information here. Annoyed by some. But generally amazed at the depth of food knowledge and experience that so many of you have. While not hearing much new about CC, because I do pay attention locally, I have eaten great food from restaurants all over the LA area that I might not have discovered on my own. So, thanks to many of you, many times over.

4 Likes

Another one bites the dust. And this one hurts:

It’s not surprising. The place is always empty. Always was underwhelming to me. Occasional good dishes but bad service and prices too high.

So many places in downtown culver are in this “mediocre” range. Would kill to have neighborhood spots like Golden State.

1 Like

I really liked the Pho Baguette and Imperial Rolls. Service was hit and miss. I would say East Borough was one of the better options in that downtown area. I’m a little surprised personally and sad to see it go.

1 Like

Darn it.

I think that was the problem. Community seating was kind of odd too.
never tried the banh mi

1 Like

And yet another dust biter…

RIP. Sambar. We hardly knew ye (mostly because ye were so expensive)

I don’t fully concur that Sambar was “far too niche for the neighborhood” as the owner states. Not holding my breath for the Italian revamp.

1 Like

Oh… just go to Tito’s and be done with it!!! :thinking::upside_down_face::wink:

2 Likes

That’s too bad I liked Sambar and wished they had been open for lunch as well

More like, it wasn’t very good and was more expensive (by a lot) than better, more basic Indian food.

2 Likes

Sambar was open for lunch. Sad to see it go–I particularly liked the Truck stop goat curry and the turmeric naan.

1 Like

I’m not buying Richmond’s excuse that Sambar was too niche. IMO, it just wasn’t very good. Tried them for lunch a couple of times. Kati rolls were overpriced and dry, pakoras were forgettable, and the aggressive upselling on sides, drinks etc. turned me off.

I’ll bet a real Kati Roll place like Kati Roll Co. or Thelewala would kill it in downtown Culver City.