BAGELS.... and more bagels

Have you ever considered just getting the real deal shipped?

1 Like

Friend bought me R & D a couple of years ago. Damn good.

I guess I’m just nostalgic for the experience of going to a deli and watching a guy hand slice perfect slices for me.

you’re right, this is probably an extravagance I should just bite the bullet on once in a while.

They remind me of the ones from Ess-a-bagel. A bit on the fluffy side.

I’m surprised there isn’t a place along Pico that offers sliced salmon to order…

2 Likes

A zillion years ago, Factors used to have lox. So did juniors deli. all the Pico places that I’ve checked are just selling smoked salmon.

I need to ask Maury’s where they source it from, though I have yet to see it “in stock” there.

Anyone making sourdough bagels in LA? Brooklyn Bagel stopped after the wall collapse, and I don’t know that I’ve seen ‘em anywhere else.

Courage calls their bagels “wild fermented” fwiw. I definitely got some tartness out of it.

sightglass coffee has sourdough bagels

Sam’s on Larchmont does. So I assume their other locations do as well (the one on Sunset Blvd and the other on Main Street in Santa Monica).

Cannot attest to whether they’re good or not. Their other bagels aren’t bad.

Also, Old New York Deli & Bakery in Woodland Hills and Camarillo (yeah, far)

Philly Style Bagels here has bagels cooked in beer. Anyone tried this?

Easter Sunday, and damn all the bagel places are jammin.

Bagels: They is risen!!

5 Likes

hank’s is naturally leavened.

wow, is that the going price? i know this is not cooking board, but dang making cured (not smoked) lox is the easiest thing ever. you can save that money and splurge on great quality salmon too. i like smoked lox and do sides of it at a time.

8 Likes

Yeah that’s the all in shipped price. No idea what it costs straight from R&D.

Joint charges $28/lb for their offerings.

Yeah, making lox / gravlax is super-easy. Strictly speaking, if you smoke it, it’s no longer lox.

the terminology always confuses me, but i cold smoke never over 80 degrees and not hot smoke which goes to 145…so its novalox? it’s still perfectly sliceable.

Lox / gravlax is by definition cured but not smoked.

Idk personally I think the terms are meaningless locally. If you told me you had Nova I’d think you had an old Chevy. Very few people know what they actually mean and even fewer care sadly.

5 Likes

Lots of people say “lox” when they mean smoked salmon, but they’re wrong, and if you’re making your own you should use the right terms.

Personally I say “gravlax” for cured unsmoked salmon as I’ve seen no confusion about the term. If I ever smoked some I’d call it smoked salmon.

Except for gr8pimpin which is why $42/lb shipped might not be a bad deal.

4 Likes

True. LOL.

But I think it’s more that only one variety has ever really been offered here, so no one even knows there’s a difference.

Maybe we should stop calling them bagels and call them doughnuts. Aren’t they the same thing? :wink:

1 Like