Baroo (East Hollywood)

I’ve worked with AK before … I think you’ve pretty much nailed him, based on my experiences.

More power to him for marching to his own drum, but for me that was largely a negative. I’d rather have paid more, been able to make a reservation, had a comfortable seat, been allowed to order more than two dishes, drunk some wine with my meal, and had the place be open the next time I passed through.

But whatever, I’ve put up with worse for great food.

Okay… So it’s not just me. He just doesn’t seem like a food lover. That’s kinda’ weird for a food expert, right?

You just described some of my thoughts. It’s not in a good location, the setting isn’t very comfortable and it wasn’t enough food for my guy. It might be why we’re not in a hurry to rush back.

[quote=“robert, post:42, topic:213”]
But whatever, I’ve put up with worse for great food.
[/quote]Me too

I think it’s better to separate the person from the persona, if you will. He does greatly enjoy food - or, at least, did - but the desire to be “in the know” seems to trump all.

Shrugs.

1 Like

Being in the know is a major part of Kramer’s and Knowlton’s jobs. I wouldn’t presume that the tone and attitude of any national magazine’s content was the personal choice of the attributed authors, or that they are happy with the titles or headlines, which they usually don’t write and can’t veto.

It’s more or less guaranteed that any national listicle will not include the places that local experts would name, and that any listicle about the n best whatevers, trendiness, quirkiness / originality, and geographical diversity will trump quality.

How many of the ten best Chinese restaurants in America are in LA? Probably all of them. If Bon Appétit had a listicle about the ten best Chinese restaurants in America, how many would be in LA? Probably one. And likely all the local experts would agree that it was the wrong one.

2 Likes

well, titles and headlines and even the subject matter are up for grabs, but i’m
not too sure any writer extant would be so happy to give away “tone and attitude.”
editing exists, for sure, but give the author some responsibility.

that being said, i haven’t met him and probably never will, but i enjoy knowlton’s writing.

He’s been there over 15 years. What he wants to write might usually be in sync with what his editors want, or it might not be and he puts up with the house style because he enjoys the perks of being a mid-level editor at a NYC-based food magazine.

when you assume…

Me too. It is not his writing. It’s him. He comes off as too cool for school… or tv in his case. I used to watch him as a judge on Iron Chef, when it was still worth watching. He was so bland and nitpicky.

I’m going to miss that kombucha.

They didn’t have kombucha the day I went which made me :worried:

Never got to try this place out.

I heard one of the owners spent some time with Korean Buddhist Nun Jeong Kwan. I would LOVE to see Korean Buddhist Temple Food here in LA. It might not have some vegetables/mushrooms from the Korean mountainside but the bounty of California should be enough!

2 Likes

Holy cow… Kris Yenbamroong totally predicted it

3 Likes

Yep

1 Like
2 Likes

That sounds like a fun event.

http://www.unseenworlds.com/releases/baroo#!/