Barrel & Ashes

yes, thank you! I believe I had one of their ales—super smooth and a velvety mouth-feel. as you said very different from what seems to be going on right now (super hoppy/tart or big, bold flavors). our server also told us to check out their taproom. maybe a trip to van nuys is in my future……

If you do Puro Sabor is a couple of blocks away. Good ceviche and lomo saltado.

1 Like

ok, it looks like a trip to Macleod and Puro Sabor is gonna be happening either this weekend or next. My friend just called and said----remember that beer you had @ Boneyard, lets go check out the tap room. Since I’m never in that part of town, is there anything else that I should check out or just stick to English ale and Peruvian food?

If you cook 99Ranch, Sepulveda and Victory, is a good Asian market. They have recently remodeled and upscaled everything - plus its a lot cleaner than it used to be. Tapia Bros. is at Hayvenhurst and Burbank. Excellent source of strawberries and other fruit and vegetables. One of the last farmstands in the Valley, and very nice people. Other than food there isn’t too much else around there. The Arclight has a theater in the Sherman Oaks Galleria if you want to catch a movie. There is a BevMo on Sepulveda which carries St. George liquors.

A word about McLeod’s - you will think you are in the wrong neighborhood. Its Valley industrial grunge and low rent housing…perfect place for a microbrewery, but its a bit of a surprise. The guys I’ve met are Scots, not Brits, and are very friendly and informative.

Have a great time!

One more thing - Puro Sabor does not have a liquor license so hit McLeod’s first and take your beer to lunch. Don’t neglect to try Puro’s chi-chi morada though. If you didn’t know its a purple corn beverage and delicious!

I do cook, but I live in Ktown—so I’m close to Korean and Thai markets and I think eating/drinking sounds like more fun than shopping. No problem about the neighborhood–being a “creative professional” I’ve worked and lived in lots of places like that (including the “arts district” back when the first wave of artists moved in during the early 80s).

Thanks! I’m looking forward to checking out both places!

Let us know how you liked it. If you go with a friend Puro Sabor’s fried seafood platter is a winner - but way too much food. Also their green aji sauce on white bread is really good. I never let the waitress take it away when the main course comes.

Will do! Looks like we’ll be heading over there this Sunday.
Would splitting a saltado and the fried seafood platter be too much food for 2?

Definitely - but the saltado is a good leftover. Just be careful not to eat too much bread with the highly addictive aji on it…
Have a great time!

1 Like

Ok—mini report: MacLeod’s was a fun layed back hang on a Sunday afternoon. We enjoyed several pints and they have rotating food trucks parked out front (check their calendar for specifics). Yesterday it was a hotdog truck and we had bacon/kraut dogs that hit the spot with the ales we were drinking.

Puro Sabor was very good. The lomo saltado was great and we really enjoyed the shrimp ceviche (loved the combo of corn on the cob and roasted corn kernels). Between the pints, hot dog and Peruvian food—I was DONE by the time I got home. Fun Sunday–thanks for the recs!!

2 Likes

Barrel & Ashes is good. Not someplace I’d drive out of the way for. But Now that Salt n Straw is open down the street its not a bad bang bang.

Best Items
Pork ribs - well smoked and seasoned
Brisket - good but not Bludso level good
Hoe cake
Mac n Cheese

Avoid
Pulled pork - I read the previous comments but still got suckered in bc I love pulled pork
Collared greens - kinda bland and expensive

1 Like