Basque in SF

Since this came up in another topic I thought I’d open this one to remind me to get back to Piperade, which I think is currently the only Basque place in SF. I forgot Bocadillos closed, as did Illuna and Aatxe

There’s also Bask, but it’s sort of Spanish-Basque-whatever. Same goes for Le Chalet in San Rafael. Lots of Spanish places also serve some Basque dishes.

For old-school American Basque, there’s the not-so-old Basque Cultural Center in South SF.

Once in a while we drive out to Wool Growers in Los Banos.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Basque-Traditions-Are-Fading-Away-in-S-F-North-2954630.php

I’m pretty sure I remember that one off Broadway. Vaguely. From maybe the mid to late 70s?

The Basque Hotel was at 15 Romolo for who knows how many decades before the restaurant closed in 1996. Des Alpes closed not long afterwards. The excellent 15 Romolo bar celebrated its 20th anniversary last year.

I just remember an alley off Broadway up a steep hill.

That’s Romolo.

We also remember almost going to Cafe du Nord on Market. This would have been in the late 80s perhaps. We were headed there and then went somewhere else along the route from Noe Valley on Church.