Batterfish, Encino—fine fish 'n' chips

I had no idea they had a Studio City location! ::smacks head:: I only knew about the Santa Monica one. Is that new? And was your bad experience at the Studio City one?

Hi paranoid,

I don’t know when the Studio City branch opened. And “yes” my bad experience was at the Studio City branch. Perhaps it’s a global change at both branches then? (recipe change for the batter, or switching to cheaper / worse fish, because I had a similar experience to you at the SM branch)

Correct the Studio City branch has closed…

They opened in studio city, ventura west of Coldwater. I think they are closing? Woops, you asked @Chowseeker1999 :smile:

1 Like

My husband and I went to Batterfish in March on a Saturday afternoon - shortly after they had a spate of reviews. It was standing room only, and we were lucky to claim a table after about 30 - 40 minutes. They seemed ill-equipped to handle the ever-growing throng, and the owner had to make a trip to purchase additional supplies. However, he did check up on us periodically.

I got the traditional batter with cod and chips. The batter was crispy, but not overwhelming, and the fish flaked nicely. My only gripe was that the paper that was used to line the basket was quite flimsy. So by the end of my meal, I had the odd bite of semi-disintegrated paper along with a forkful of fish.

1 Like

Thanks for the report Malady. :smile:

Glad to hear they are getting some business.

For the paper lining, I’ve never run into it, but then again, I was so hungry the last time I went, I wolfed it down pretty fast, maybe before the paper had a chance to disintegrate? LOL.

Thanks for your kind words, @Chowseeker1999.

I’m hoping that they continue to thrive.

Next time, I’ll need to eat faster, though I’m not a macrobiotic, 100-chews kind of person. :grinning: Cheers!

I really hate to bring the negative vibe here but I was enthusiastic about trying it after reading about it in a number of positive reviews. I went on a Friday at noon about six months ago and it wasn’t busy. It also wasn’t very good.The breading was way too thick for my taste and the fries weren’t special at all.

1 Like

Our party tried several combinations of fish and batter and while it’s nice to have those choices none of us were impressed. My preferred fish and chips vendor continues to be Hot Red Bus in Alhambra.

@Bob_Brooks , so sorry you had a quite lackluster meal. Hopefully, it was just a isolated incident.

@ediner, I’ve been meaning to try Hot Red Bus. I need to make a trip to the SGV soonish!

It’s interesting; I tried Hot Red Bus which I found to be so-so. Also I dislike that they use Swai fish.

The pikey was great last time I was there for fish and chips.

Seeing spinal tap again recently made me wonder about h salt in west la.

1 Like

YEP!! So disappointed by their icky cheap fish. We would go their all the time otherwise.

–Dommy!

Not to worry, HRB offers cod.
http://hotredbus.com/menu

In OC, Dublin 4 in Mission Viejo has outstanding fish & chips.

HRB offers cod.

YAY!!! We went once and they did not offer the cod option. I distinctly thought, I would pay MORE to have Cod than the slimy swai. Thanks much! :smiley:

–Dommy!

What’s the deal with pangasius? Very good price at bh farmers market and my family likes it. Mild white fish. Not slimy but is this something u avoid ?

According to Wikipedia (as we know, the unchallenged authority on everything): swai = basa = pangasius. Knowing a little about the conditions in which it’s farmed, I won’t go near it.

thanks CV, If you have some good info, please let me know – ive googled around this and seen varied info. we get it from dry dock seafood at the farmers market they are a reliable purveyor and with good sourcing.

What I know is mostly anecdotal. There was an extensive discussion about swai on you-know-where, last year, I believe. As I I recall the discussion, although domestic catfish farming (the closest parallel) is fairly regulated, the swai business in Southeast Asia is not regulated at all.