Bavel - Arts District

surprisingly easy to get a table reserved for 4 on a friday at a good time a month out

I went last summer and didn’t understand the enthusiasm either.

I hated that licorice bonbon (which Jonathan Gold had also raved about), so I guess I’m an outlier on that one.

I didn’t have any zhoug when I went, but zhoug is one of my favorite things in the world and I would have been really miffed with a tiny portion. Maybe you can ask for more or would that be uncouth?

I asked for more and they brought me about a teaspoon.

1 Like

How was the zhoug by the way? Did I read that it was strawberry zhoug or something crazy like that? I like my zhoug strong and spicy, not sweet, although I guess a little sweetness could be okay if properly balanced.

The zhoug with the malawach is strawberry, I think unripe. Anyway the half teaspoon I had did not seem sweet.

I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoyed Bestia. The duck 'nduja hummus was nothing to write home about. The aged half duck was great as were the Middle Eastern cured meats. The lamb was so so. I agree that the licorice bon bon was too frozen, but I hate licorice and I loved it. Would much rather go to Bestia than return to Bavel.

I suspect the Bavel JB win comes from more than the food. They had a huge success with Bestia in an untried neighborhood. Then didn’t play it safe, and went in a completely different direction with their next project - middle eastern with an Israeli bent, no less. They cook from the heart, the food is really good and the place is a critics darling. Plus they’re natives, made their bones in L.A., and didn’t talk shit about the city… And I don’t care! Majordomo was robbed!

1 Like

Bavel didn’t win the JB award. It went to Frenchette, another safe NYC French bistro (Le Coucou, Batard won the few years before). Any of the nominees (Bavel, Majordomo, Angler, Atomix) would have been more relevant winners.

2 Likes

Oh, idk why I thought they won best new restaurant. Bavel was robbed! :blush:

1 Like

Except when it’s bad.

@Chowseeker1999

2 Likes

Thanks!

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks! :slight_smile: The only worry I think is their amazing fresh-made Pita. Do they give you Pitas that are partially baked and you finish them off in the oven for piping hot? Or are they pre-made already? Otherwise, looks delicious. :slight_smile:

grilled prawns on the menu this week:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_dp1vVDTFD/

5 Likes

7/1
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB1jVTdDcfo/?hl=en

3 Likes

Bavel and Vespertine’s takeouts are my top 2 faves during Covid, glad Bavel’s going to continue takeouts even after opening up for dine-in.

3 Likes

Those reservations were eaten up fast!

3 Likes

Warrior: Bavel is high on my list of favorite restaurants in LA. The best word to describe it is delicious. Dish after dish after dish: delicious. There are some execution missteps. On our last visit, the confit chicken was way too dry. It was a new dish (first day I think) so hopefully they’ve improved it since then. But I’m just being critical to be critical. I love the restaurant.

Peony: Same here. One of the top restaurants in LA for me. Very difficult to get into but totally worth the effort!Every dish was a tasting experience: a symphony of spices, herbs, charcoal, heat, textures, etc. Also really love they often bring in new dishes - so it is always wonderful to go and find out there is something different from the last visit!

6 Likes

I went last week and thought the food execution hadn’t missed a beat. Only downside was our server was pretty mediocre (slow, not helpful), though rest of staff was great. Lastly…I forgot how much wine costs at restaurants like these with 3x+ markup…$90 for a bottle of rose not great.

3 Likes