Belcampo mislabeled meat scandal

Respectfully, think we have really different priors, perspectives, and assumptions on this.

Maybe I misunderstand their business model, but their whole brand is vertically integrated, ‘we sell what we grow.’ Not sure why there would be a policy for sourcing and labeling beyond what does HQ have in stock? I mean, wasn’t sourcing and labeling supposed to come directly from BelCampo farms? They’re not a multi label shop like McCall’s. Why would individual stores even have the option to go to third parties? That contradicts everything about their brand and advertising.

To me Occam’s Razor here is they knew, it happened for a while, and they condoned it/looked the other way. It does remind me of Theranos. And as far as heuristics go, the first time caught is almost always not the first time committing the crime, though that’s what everyone claims after they’re caught.

I do appreciate your comment though. We just see it really differently!

4 Likes

This is not a matter of speculation, Belcampo has admitted it. Without third-party suppliers, they would constantly be out of stock of the most in-demand items, such as chicken breasts and beef tenderloin. Yeah, it’s contrary to their brand, but it’s also a practical response to the bad business model of tying a restaurant to a single supplier. There are meat-counter photos online where you can see non-Belcampo items clearly labeled, e.g. Batali charcuterie.

Plus Belcamo produces only meat,so there were necessarily going to be a lot of local suppliers for dairy, veg, baked goods, beer, wine, liquor, etc.

Corporate management wishfully turning a blind eye certainly seems like a possibility.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Good values in olive oil

The meat coming from the farm needed to be purchased by the restaurants and butcher shops, akin to any wholesale account, says one former Belcampo chef, and that meat came with a higher price tag than products from other suppliers. As a result, employees allege, financial managers decided that it would be beneficial to begin to routinely source outside meat from local restaurant suppliers rather than order it exclusively from Belcampo Farms.
…
Reiner says a new financial manager was hired to watch over the store’s budget and, at one point, restricted the retail shop’s ordering to $2000 per week. “The only way to fill that case with that budget was to buy from Rocker Brothers,” Reiner says.
…
Two staff members tell Eater that whenever Fernald announced that she would be visiting any of the shops in Southern California, boxes and labels from distributors like Rocker Brothers or West Coast Prime were to be hidden from view before her arrival.

My guess is the company will go bankrupt and be broken up.

3 Likes

:man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Agree. And buried in that article is reporting on a wage theft settlement by Belcampo.

Wage theft is especially disgusting and takes advantage of the most vulnerable in society.

Does not get lower than that.

4 Likes

I wonder how the $750,000 settlement managed to go unreported until now?

1 Like

Aren’t those usually announced by state agencies? Or does the settlement obviate some reporting requirement?

It looks like it was a private lawsuit, not one initiated by a state agency.

2 Likes

Good article. They didn’t get a lot more concrete info, but it seems that they tried!

Ma Bel and Baby Bel

They got confirmation from additional current and former employees as well as from two of Belcampo’s suppliers. They established that the problem was not limited to one store. They got the name of two managers who allegedly ordered non-Belcampo meat, one of whom allegedly directed employees not to let Fernald know about it. They verified that Belcampo continued to claim that it was raising chickens on its farm after it closed its poultry operation.

2 Likes

Anya Fernald May be able to deny any direct knowledge of managers/corporate/finance people that may have made these decisions—but certainly does not absolve her any of the blame.

Seems she care more about the branding and face of belampco and paying lip service to transparency and integrity to know what was truly happening on the retail end. Employees reported she never even acknowledged them when coming into the restaurants and that she cared more about the social media influencers who had credits up to $1000/mt to spend there.

Another nice article with perspectives from meat industry experts.

The LA Times is so late on this that I wonder if they somehow dropped the ball.

Garry Embleton has been the “co-CEO” since last August, which might mean that he was handling the day-to-day operations and Fernald was focusing on evangelism and the like.

From last May, reads a little different now.

Belcampo, which sells organic meats at a premium in boutique butcheries in Los Angeles and the Bay Area, has seen in-store butcher shop sales nearly quadruple, and online sales explode.

Anya Fernald, Belcampo’s CEO, said her company was able to handle the surge because it farms its own animals in Yreka, Calif., and owns its own small slaughterhouse, sparing it from the broader industry turmoil.

“We control our own supply chain,” she said. “This is a time when local butchers can really shine.”

2 Likes

And that’s not the only instance of her touting belcampos supply chain during the pandemic. According to @erikafairtrade she was on IG live multiple times reassuring customers on the health of their supply chain.

The silence from major news outlets on this corporate fraud is pretty deafening.

1 Like

To date, it’s not clear that anyone above local managers was involved in the fraud. I presume reporters at places like the WSJ and Business Insider are looking for credibile allegations of something more than higher-ups not paying attention.

So they’re negligent then

2 Likes

That much seems indisputable. The question is how far up the org chart was the fraud planned or covered up.

1 Like