Best Banchan with a Take-Out Order?

I’m looking to see if anyone has recommendations for Korean restaurants doing take-out that include a large variety or focus on banchan.

Is it better to hit up a specialty banchan market first and then get main dishes somewhere else? Looking anywhere in greater Los Angeles.

I really miss the experience of all the sit down places I used to go to in koreatown and want to continue to support them while we can’t dine in.

4 Likes

I would say Soban, simply because I love those celery banchan (I think it’s celery??)

Jang Ga Ne and Mapo Kkak Do Gee also has a large and delicious variety.

As far as kimchi (radish, and Napa cabbage) I think the sullongtang places and kalgooksu places have the best.

5 Likes

Welcome to the board! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are you near north OC?

I like these 2 places for jars of kimchi. Hansung in Buena Park (right by Knotts btw) has a pretty good banchan selection as well. Also they have mandu in their frozen section. The spicy oyster banchan and perilla leaves banchan is not to be missed

5 Likes

Thank you for the recommendations!

We started with Soban. We had dined-in there once last year and had marinated raw crab and black cod and the banchan with the rest of the meal was super great. Tonight for a to go order we had the cod and braised short rib with extra banchan and the experience really translated! The celery was for sure a highlight.

Will probably have to make a trip to Buena Park to stock up as well!

I have close ups of the banchan but I can only upload one image right now as a new user.

14 Likes

Great meal! Glad you enjoyed!

1 Like

Definitely agree with @JeetKuneBao on the 2 recommendations. The people at Hansung Ggoolmott Kimchi are the nicest. I’ve had several varieties of their kimchee and its priced similarly to what you’d pay at H-Mart or any other Korean market but significantly better. Haven’t had any of the banchan but if its anywhere near the level of their kim chee then its well worth the trip.

If you want to make the most out of your trip you’ll be close to Porto’s, Portillos for Chicago dogs or beef dips sandwiches and not too far away from Brookhurst for all things Middle Eastern.

4 Likes

Looks great!
Thanks for posting

We had nice banchan from Junwon last week but it was about 6 things I think

3 Likes

Has anyone done to-go Korean BBQ since quarantine and had good banchan provided with it? We’ve done some to-go jjigaes but the kiddos are now requesting BBQ. I tried the cook-at-home delivery kit that Chris Oh (formerly Hanjip) does, but the banchan was very limited.

Get some marinated meat to grill to go from Park’s BBQ To Go (next to Park’s BBQ) and then order a dish (I’d suggest the soybean stew with brisket or the galbi tang) from the regular restaurant to get some banchan. They should also give you some lettuce wraps and sauces with the meat.

6 Likes

I am hardly an expert on Koreatown, but folks I know who are up on it (like JeetKunBao) have mentioned Mapo Kkak Do Gee for its array of banchan, and it is one I do have experience with. It was quite an impressive variety of banchan, which I quite enjoyed.

4 Likes

In case you want to do it yourself here is Maangchi’s latest video, Korean BBQ (Soegogi-gui: 쇠고기구이) - YouTube. Pretty sure Park’s is better quality meat, but she is always fun to watch and I have learned a lot from her.

6 Likes

Yep, ours was pretty good too.

1 Like

Went with a recommendation from @Blura14 in another thread and did old trusty Soot Bull Jeep. The BBQ was absolutely terrific and the banchan was adequate. Very happy with the decision.

*Petit Trois baguette added to dinner for scale

7 Likes

From an article today in LA Taco. Chef from Orsa & Winston making doshirak out of her house that is mainly focused on ban chan. The ban chan looks very good.

6 Likes

Hansung Ggoolmott Kimchi was so righteous! They were very accommodating and were taking all the precautions for covid. Picked up a few things and everything tastes incredible. The Perilla Leaf, Special Kimchi and the Leek Kimchi are my highlights so far.

![image|666x500]

7 Likes

Yes! You went! I am glad you liked it! They are truly one of the nicest people I ever encountered.

I don’t know why some of you haven’t done this yet but do what @PorkyBelly does and BYORC (bring your own rice cooker) and go to town here with the kimchi and banchan at Hansung!

4 Likes

They are the sweetest people ever. Everybody should support mom and pop places like this not only bc they are a small business but bc they are absolutely top notch.

3 Likes