Best French Dip Sandwich?

Hi All – In perusing the posts related to the best French dip sandwiches in Los Angeles it seems that most are a few years old so I’m going to ask for current opinions. Philippe’s is always on the list, that’s a given, but what else would you recommend?

Thanks!

1 Like

Cole’s is the rival.

I have no preference tbh but I do like the hot mustard at Philippes and the pickled eggs

3 Likes

A chain but the French Dip at Houston’s/Hillstone is still very good.

9 Likes

for a fun french-dip-sandwich-adjacent item checkout “the philippe” calzone at ronan.

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/f/c/fc1fb43e5e024f1317c0bb07be211657f9d9e51f.jpeg

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/c/a/ca867192ffb48dd71efd6453f183a8b510938ee6.jpeg

7 Likes

A friend went to a place in NYC that had a brisket banh mi with a bowl of pho broth on the side for dipping. Anybody in LA doing something like that?

1 Like

little sister

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6tat-thHaU/?hl=en

5 Likes

I had that and it was great, but I don’t see it on their current menu.

My brother enjoyed Little Sister’s French dip when we dined at the Redondo Beach location last Sunday for Mother’s Day (not intentionally, as he had ordered a different banh mi).

8 Likes

That calzone looks strange and delicious! Not unlike a pastrami quesadilla with iceberg lettuce I get in Whittier.

1 Like

+1 on Houstons/Hillstone. That’s my benchmark.

3 Likes

Same here.

Clementine in Westwood/Century City sometimes has a brisket french dip and it is terrific.

1 Like

Has anybody tried the Petite Peso Adobo French Dip sandwich? That iteration is so smart I’m embarrassed I hadn’t thought of it and I hope like hell it’s good. We’d have tried it already but some practical/scheduling things got in the way.

3 Likes

I second Houston’s/Hillstone/South Beverly Grill etc. Their french dip is amazing.

1 Like

Doesnt Lawry’s still make a prime rib sandwich with au jus and horseradish?

Didn’t they make it at the Tam O Shanter? @Ns1 , didn’t you use to go there? Don’t remember if you said it was good or not.

they play at the Tam is the entrees/plates, not the sandwiches.

3 Likes

Actually Tam used to have a great sandwich bar in the, well, bar. Haven’t been since before the shutdown but I thought they had a french dip, back then.

The current shorter menu shows no sign of it : (

2 Likes

Ohmigod, so many options. We’ll be eating french dips for wks, if not longer!

3 Likes

Yeah for my money I’m getting a plate at the sandwich bar. The sandwiches sound great on paper though.

3 Likes

I miss going to Tam’s bar to see them carve prime rib slices and place on an onion brioche roll along with the complimentary peanut coleslaw from the self serve salad bar.

Had takeout there a few months ago, but didn’t enjoy the default potato roll used for the PR sammie.

I have to use up some expiring credits there so I’ll be going back soon. Maybe try their off menu chili if they have it.

PS:
I thought porkybelly raved about Gjusta’s French dip a few years ago? I need to visit Phillipe’s first before trying Gjusta’s version if they have it.

5 Likes