Best LA Dishes of 2015?

This I’ve been wanting to get my hands on.

Did it get taken off the menu?

yknow, patrick bateman’s walkman was pretty diverse, so im a little confuzzled.

republique: egg on egg

1 Like

Was not available 2 nights ago! Bummer for us.

Great list man. How was Playground this year? My biggest gripe with that place is that for all its innovation, it doesn’t seem to actually be getting much better. You’d think he would figure out what works and what doesn’t work but I feel the dishes still have the same amount of hits and misses…

So you and J Gold both like that cauliflower and millet. Interesting

Do you mean Ahgoo? The place in El Monte? / Thanks for introducing me to a spot I hadn’t heard of!

Can a place be your favorite restaurant in the world if you’ve only eaten once? For instance, I’d say Troisgros is Roanne France was my meal of the year, but I’m not sure it could be considered my favorite spot in the world.

Yes, sorry my bad.

Ahgoo’s Kitchen, not Aghoo’s.

1 Like

I’m gonna say yes. For me my favorite restaurant is just the one I ate the best meal at. But I’ll update after tomorrow.

The Playground will never improve by its very nature as nothing ever stays on the menu. Hence the name.

In LA, my favorite restaurant is Hatchet Hall, OC Taco Maria

But you know I didn’t even think about how really great odys and Penelope was until I thought about my list haha

Places that are changing the menu up every day can definitely have less duds than the Playground.

where is an example?

Europe

Every restaurants entire menu changes every day in Europe?

I know farm to table is way more common there but I wonder if it is really that pervasive?

If it is true I would guess it’s because they have food culture older than the USAs entire history to draw upon, and not necessarily 100% new dishes every day being created out of nothing (essentially), as is the case at the Playground. I imagine a culinary tradition to work in helps one out quite a lot with the success rate in these instances, don’t you think?

What did you have? I have been infatuated with Judy Rodgers’ cooking since I got her cookbook last fall, and that’s where she fell in love with cooking. Very sad that she died so young.