Best mac n cheese

Do we have a thread on this? I searched and didn’t see one. I’m crazing some bomb mac n cheese.

Belle Vie on Wilshire in West LA has a truffle mac and cheese to die.

1 Like

Beer Belly…HOUSE MAC
Cheddar, Swiss, Housemade Cheddar Whiz
Add Bacon +$2, Add Grilled Chicken +$2.50

3 Likes

…also a good mac and cheese at Truxton’s. Gruyere, bleu, fontina, roasted garlic, oven roasted tomatoes, topped with panko crumbs

6 Likes

I normally like my mac & cheese simpler. But your picture of Truxton’s mac looks delicious :kissing_closed_eyes:.

Just had a cup of the mac n’ cheese offered as a side at Connie and Ted’s. Very happy making indeed.

1 Like

I live close to Belle Vie and Truxton’s. Might have to do a bang-bang… :wink:

2 Likes

Just in case you might like to make you own, consider Marco Pierre White’s
https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/masterchef/recipes/mac-n-cheese

2 Likes

I rarely like mac and cheese, but I was at the Backstage (on Culver Blvd., behind Sony) one night and ordered it for some [to soothe throat after tequila/karaoke] reason and, believe it or not, it was really good. The cheese sauce was and smooth and creamy, not oily or grainy or overly salted and the macaroni was cooked properly. I was so surprised.
http://www.backstageculvercity.com

Geez, that’s rich! And look how much pancetta he uses in his carbonara.
https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/masterchef/recipes/spaghetti-carbonara

1 Like

Woah. I’ll have to try this. Haven’t been for a while, but there was a time when Backstage visits were weekly. Mostly stuck to garlic fries then, though. Long live King Chris.

Between this reco and La Dij, you’ve been on a roll bringing up deep cut westside spots I never thought I’d see mentioned here!

1 Like

Love the Gorgonzola mac and cheese at Mastro’s Malibu. That, the pretzel roll and a Manhattan are the reasons we (wife and I) go there. Unfortunately, the “sides” (lobster and steak) are pretty expensive and variable.

Yeah, I don’t always feel like leaving the rez just for a drink or snack. :wink:

1 Like

it says i have to be in australia.

To watch the video, yes. To read the recipe, no.

1 Like

Clementine has good mac and cheese in their to go case. Reheat for about 25 minutes. Very tasty with a crisp crust

3 Likes

Not a restaurant, but the Costco Mac and Cheese in their meat/prepared food department is actually really good. You just have to reheat it for 45 minutes in the oven. What I do is heat it covered for about 30 minutes, and then uncover and sprinkle it liberally with panko crumbs mixed with melted butter and bake it another 20 minutes or so. It’s nice and gooey and the panko crust gets nice and crunchy on top.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the replies. I’ll probably try the costco one first. Since I am going today.

1 Like

You make Costco food sexy - not an easy task.

3 Likes

We had some Maple Block BBQ last night, and everything was very good. What was unusual is their sides have improved (or the wine was doing the thinking).

The beans were really good, and the Mac&cheese was really good as well. We got dinner to go, and the Mac&cheese didn’t coagulate like usual. It stayed smooth and creamy, and it actually tasted very good. I ended up eating more sides than brisket, ribs and chicken - I feel cheap.

1 Like

I don’t know about best, but Elbows in Cerritos makes damn tasty mac n cheese. The original one and the cajun one were tasty.