Best Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles

Where is Sergio these days anyway? Still staging at stinking rose?

2 Likes

Even with Sergio MIA the food is still wonderful…
photo gastronomyblog.com

3 Likes

Went a few weeks ago and I 100% agree with you!

1 Like

I never understood the Sergio thing…I thought it was just an urban myth, not real. The place has always been extraordinary whenever I’ve been.

Only reason I didn’t mention it was because it’s just not exactly nearby all the other places out Eastward I wanted to highlight as being so close to each other that one could hit all of them going along a single freeway loop hah

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist

3 Likes

I thought this guy was a good cook?..

He can cook a damn fine steak, that’s for sure.

I thought he cooked fish? The place doesn’t even offer steak…as far as I know?..

He stages at stinking rose and makes the best damn steak you’ve ever had. Keep up bro (just call first to make sure he’s cooking).

3 Likes

@Ns1 LOLOLOL. :laughing:

@Aesthete, yah Sergio does cook fish. The “Sergio” joke has reached to so many threads that now whenever a restaurant has an off-night, we just say, “Was Sergio in that day?” :stuck_out_tongue:

I have had Sergio’s cooking at his original location, and it was pretty darn great. :slightly_smiling: Then he kept moving from location to location.

1 Like

Pfffffffffftttt. What, exactly, is “Mexican food”, to this person? Tex-Mex? Cal-Mex? Oaxacan? Yucatecan? Baja seafood? The moles which he thinks are better than Rocio’s, where in Texas did he get 'em? The cochinita pibil better than Chichen Itza’s? The street tacos better than Mexicali’s, or Ricky’s?

Methinks he’s all hat and no cattle…

I would agree with Coni’Seafood as my favorite Mexican restaurant in LA.

Sergio is Keyser Söze?!!!

3 Likes

Lol I can’t get over the concept of him “staging.” So amazing.

Actually fuck everything I said before, just go to Taqueria Los Anaya…I am kicking myself yet again for not going back more often. I just went and got a lengua burrito. I was slightly sad they didn’t toast the tortilla like I saw in photos of it on LA Weekly’s site… but holy fuck did that melt away when I bit into the thing. It completely baffles me how they get so much flavor out of everything here. Are they sprinkling crack on everything? I don’t understand how every element, the beans, the rice, the guac, the uber tender and juicy lengua… how is it all so amplified in flavor and perfect together?

These burritos seem to lean into that “mission style” I suppose, minus sour cream, but they are more flavorful than even the best of SF (El Farrolito, La Taqueria). Flavors are just unreal.

I guess they do cost like 2x as much as most other burritos, but honestly, the flavors compete with Ludo’s burritos, and those are $16, while Los Anaya’s are only $11 (including tip).

Their huevos rancheros are also insane…I need to go back and get more of those to photograph. Their enchiladas, which I’ve stupidly never had, must be fucking amazing, too, because they make some of the best handmade corn tortillas I’ve ever tasted. Even their damn tortilla chips are better than any I’ve had anywhere else, each one perfectly fried, salty, and crunchy and bursting with corn flavor. They don’t even need salsa.

This place easily remains the most underrated Mexican (may just restaurant period?) restaurant in LA imo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBklWlQE0IK/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

6 Likes

Love, love, love Taqueria Los Anaya, especially the chilaquiles. But just FYI, neither La Taqueria nor El Farolito is what I consider “the best of SF.”

2 Likes

The best burritos in SF are probably in Oakland or Redwood City.

1 Like

I’ve done a Fruitvale crawl but never Redwood City. Was just reading about some places there the other day, though. Any favorites?

Hmm, sorry, I should’ve said “best of the mission”.

What are burritos like in Oakland and Redwood city compared to the mission burritos?

They’re not even the best in the Mission imo. Merely the ones that get the most press. I prefer Papalote or Taqueria Guadalajara.

The burritos in the East Bay are similar in construction. The flavors – salsas and especially the marinades on the meats – are just brighter.

PS: Sorry for the minor threadjack.