Best of Crenshaw Blvd

Those of us who grew up on pete’s links love them. The texture is weird to me and I would never put them in my gumbo again as there was WAY too much grease. But I love the way Phillips does them. Was surprised to see that Woody’s uses the same links as I have always hated woody’s. lol

1 Like

What’s do you get at Post & Beam, Mexicano and Americana Buffet? What you recommend?

That makes sense. I visited bought two bags and never understood the hype. I’ll have to try them smoked at phillips.

I think the fat and filler serve the sausages well in the smoking.process. I’ve noticed that “normal” sausages can become.tough and dry after hours in the smoker. All that extra fat plus the moisture held in the filler help supplant what probably is otherwise.lost.

1 Like

A couple of new places to add. The actress Angela Means Kaaya (bye Felecia) has opened it be vegan pop-up called Jackfruit Café. It’s located with in a donut shop in a building that used to be a Taco Bell which is just south of the smart and final. A neighbor says it’s really good though I have not tried it.

Also just off of Crenshaw on West and Slauson is the brick-and-mortar version of the food truck Grilled Fraiche. It’s in a building that used to be a Wienerschnitzel. We’ve had their stuff from the truck which is salads and bowls with interesting sauces plus they do eggrolls.

Mexicano - Chile Nopal (pork inside a stuffed chile with a sweet walnut sauce and pomegranates), ceviche and enchiladas.

Americana Buffet - the teppan grill is pretty good, with thin meats

Post and Beam - Pizzas

1 Like

Thank you.

Dulan’s

Peony: Small, cute place with comforting food. I liked how juicy, flavorful, and tender the turkey wings were. I also liked the cornbread, which had a good corn taste and the right amount of sweetness. There was a long line of people getting food there, and I’m glad to see they are doing well.

Warrior: We tried Dulan’s because it is on Eater’s list of 38 best LA restaurants. This tastes like the food I grew up eating (which seems to be called “Southern food” by white folks and “soul food” by black folks; I’m not sure there is any real difference). In my opinion, it is decidedly average, though enjoyable, soul food / Southern food. The fried chicken I ate at Daybird earlier this week was much better than Dulan’s. I had more appreciation for the atmosphere at Dulan’s than the food. Many people in line talked to each other about the Rams, food, and life in general. There was a sense of community that is uncommon in LA. I would go back if I were in the area. Note that all the tables are outside.

1 Like

Haven’t had Dulans in a long time, might check it out soon.

1 Like

Post and Beam

Peony: I really liked the food in this restaurant. I feel this is probably one of the best Southern food restaurants I’ve been to in LA. I feel the dishes are creative and memorable, and I like all the flavor profiles they created. The atmosphere is very friendly, which made the whole dinner even more enjoyable.

Warrior: Peony and I have been venturing out more since we bought our first car together, and it has been fun to try places like this. Post & Beam is a solid restaurant that is likable in every regard. The cornbread was excellent. I liked that the food was healthy. In fact, the most impressive dishes for me, other than the cornbread, were the three vegan dishes we tried: kale salad, brussel sprouts, and roasted potatoes with vegan remoulade. The pan-roasted chicken was solid. I wasn’t impressed by the shrimp and grits, but it was fine. Cocktails were very good. Service was excellent on all fronts. I would go back.

1 Like

Glad to hear they are firing on all cylinders. I used to love to take clients there… just zoom down stocker and for them, it was a different world… especially when you open the door. That look of… “where are you taking us?” and then the happiness that exudes as you head out. Love.

3 Likes

The 2 times I had Dulan’s I thought my heart was going to explode from the sodium overload.

The last time it was inedible it was so salty. I tossed it all. Granted this was 2 years ago.

Maybe I need to revisit.

You know… it really depends on what order. I love the Smothered Pork Chops. The Mashed Potatoes are a Travesty… I LOVE the stuffing. But after having a hankering for Chef Marilyn, Dulans for sure if the best choice in town for this type of food outside of fancier places.

I had it recently and it was not overly salty and though I actually appreciated that it wasn’t too salty. I always order the smothered pork chops and oxtail with red beans and rice, Mac n cheese, collard greens and more collard greens. And their corn bread muffin reheated in the oven in the foil is damn tasty.

1 Like