Best Omakase for lunch?

but it’s still not always possible. on our last visit there was no one sitting in front of him but he was exclusively preparing the sushi for a large japanese group sitting at a table.

So are LA taco trucks better, in your opinion, than SF?

I have no idea since I don’t see too many taco trucks in SF, but I do know that the trio I mentioned is superb.

These are all great. Nearer to Beverly Hills, I’d check out Taco Leo (truck; only order the al pastor tacos), Guisados (the sampler is probably the move; maybe get a quesadilla), and maybe even a not terribly long drive to Guelaguetza (all mole everything)

1 Like

I think you can always get a regular omakase at the bar during lunch. Then depending on how busy they are you can sometimes get the Lunch omakase at the sushi bar (I know I’ve done it as well). It’s always polite to inquire when being seated if that’s what you want.

imho

1. the word “deal” and “best omakase” will not be found together.

2. i would head directly to Mori sushi.

beg to differ. the lunch “omakase” at kiriko is a pretty good deal.

evidence here and here.

I get what you’re saying but that’s exactly what I mean. The best Omakase deal for LUNCH only as I have experienced some in Japan, but it’s probably not the same in LA.

I also asked what’s the best Omakase in general - not looking for a deal in that question.

1 Like

For everyone who recommended Mori Sushi, I did pay a visit there this weekend. I will update with photos later :slight_smile:

I was also wondering how much it is generally for their premium Omakase (nigiri + appetizers) They don’t have a set price as it is labeled MP on their menu.

What’s your short and sweet verdict? And were you able to sit in front of Maru-san?

It really just depends on how much many pieces and the type of fish you eat. In general, 22 piece in, it might be around $220 pre t&t.

if you’re talking about the “lunch special” at Mori, that is NOT their omakase.

their omakase (served at the sushi bar–afaik the lunch plate is NOT served at the sushi bar) is something completely different in quantity, in quality, in serving the more costly fish, in knife work, in presentation. basically their omakase is a completely different animal from the lunch plate that the article incorrectly referred to as omakase.

i’ve had both at Mori.
the omakase is, to me, a sublime experience that i thought about for days afterwards. the lunch plate is a solid assortment of the most common, pedestrian, fish on a plate
i agree that the lunch plate is a “deal,” but omakase it is NOT.

Filler filler filler.

Oh, yes it depends and I know it’s ever changing but was wondering how much it was with everyone’s experiences because I paid $300 before tax and tip and was expecting 250 or less? It definitely was a great meal but felt the price was a bit higher than I expected for what I received. I think I also had 18 pieces of nigiri and some appetizers.

This was around $220pp.

holy shit, that’s more than SGO which is $300 plus tax, michelin-flation?

this was $270 with 35 pieces of nigiri, one app and dessert.

1 Like

i’m talking about kiriko (mori no longer does lunch as far as i know).

and soitenly it is not a classic omakase if you would like to be pedantic about it. but it is the day’s selection of fish served piece by piece by a chef who asks you about preferences etc. before the meal begins. i’m fine with calling that an omakase for budget lunch purposes. it’s certainly not the same thing as having a pre-cut selection of fish set down before you all at once.

1 Like

good 'nuff

I checked the other day and it seemed like Mori had closed for lunch, but I agree it is very good

Matsumoto is decent? We had a look while walking around today

It’s one of my favorite sushi spots in Los Angeles. And while it’s not cheap, the quantity and quality you get for the price is the best value in the city IMO. Their kaiseki (not really kaiseki but a mix of composed / cooked dishes and nigiri) is a LOT of food for around $160. If you go only nigiri you can get out the door for $100 - 140 depending on how much you eat and what selections of fish you choose (they charge by the piece).

Two issues I used to have with Matsumoto were:

1. Tendency to over sauce the nigiri with ponzu, or yuzu salt, or whatever else. In recent years - since buying the restaurant it seems - Chef Matsumoto has become more balanced in his use of sauce, which has largely alleviated this issue for me.
  2. He serves many of the pieces in flights of three, even when you’re at the sushi counter. I know for sushi purists this is a no-no, and I’d also prefer to be served pieces one at a time, but I’ve noticed it helps him manage the pacing and also combine / contrast pieces together (shellfish flights, silver fish flights, tuna flights, etc).

Any how, I think Matsumoto is definitely worth checking out and find it superior to many of places that make the “best of” lists.

I should add: I’ve never been here for lunch!

2 Likes