Best Pizza by the Slice?

Appollonia’s makes a great slice.

And they make an even better whole pie with duck sausage.

3 Likes

I had 2 fantastic squares last week at Prime…no complaints from me…maybe I’ve been lucky, but Ive never had an unacceptable slice or pie at Prime! I tried the Little Tokyo branch a couple weeks ago and it was excellent, though they were just reheated slices…I asked to make sure they were hot!

1 Like

For a variety of reasons I’ve had to give up bread and pasta, and pizza is the one thing I miss most.

Anyone know of a really great gluten-free pizza (particularly by the slice)?

Might be blasphemy to some (@lapizzamaven for example), apologies in advance.

your handle is highly questionable to me

Though I complained that I probably could have used another tweezered application of 2 more slices of pepperoni on it, the square Brooklyn was quite tasty as opposed to the NY pie cut.

1 Like

Why, yes I do.

1 Like

It’s like taking mini shots of pepperoni oil. It’s flavah!

5 Likes

yea, definitely deserved more meat on that slice…shit happens…If its a reheat I always mention to make it hot

1 Like

Thanks - looks good. Probably should have asked, anyone know of a really great gluten-free slice on the westside?

Have to say, those pics of Appollonia make the pies look pretty legit.

Can’t vouch for the quality but Grey Block on Pico by SMC does gluten free pan pizza that looks pretty decent. Also, while not gluten free, I believe the pan pizza at Lodge Bread is made with sourdough.

I was in the area and remembered your recommendation. I went in there and got a slice to go. It was delicious. While there was complete coverage from the giant slices of pepperoni, they were very thin and spicy. BUT not overpowering at all.

I definitely liked this a lot. If I lived in the area…

Great call! Thank you.

Maybe time to move? I know a great realtor …

3 Likes

Yikes, I had some really bad slices (one pepperoni, one pesto) from “Vito’s” Santa Monica. I’m still recovering from the flu, so my taste buds aren’t 100%, but the texture was definitely off on these. Almost like (non-pizza) pie crust.

Stopped by Slicetruck the other day and big changes are happening. The biggest is they’ve stopped selling slices. All they have now is small personal pizzas. Kind of a bummer actually.

On the plus side, they’ve dropped their prices considerably. I used to get a little personal grandma pizza (4 slices) with one topping for around $16. Now I can get a small (6 slices) for just a dollar more. As far as I can tell, the quality is the same as before.

They’re also talking about expanding into the space next door (which they own) to create a sit-down dining experience. It sounds like their whole business model, including name, may be changing.

2 Likes

Slicetruck: Not a truck. And also no longer offering slices.

4 Likes

Sicilian slices at Dough Box.

Best. Ever.

1 Like

Hi @ipsedixit,

Ooh! Are they the “thin crust” offerings only on Tues & Wed? Or are they something else? We liked the Chicago style you recommended here last year.

You make the call!

(From the Dough Box IG)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BetpWJOFTiM/?hl=en&taken-by=doughboxla

5 Likes

That looks preposterously good. Might have to do a Dough Box/Pie Life bang-bang in the near future.

SliceTruck recently greatly reduced their prices. They also got rid of their salads. I preferred their old menu, even at old prices, but oh well. Their pizza is awesome. We greatly prefer to Milo&Olive.

1 Like