Best restaurant for Birthday in LA

kato over maude and manzke easy

2 Likes

just throwing out ideas better than otium and meteora :poop:

3 Likes

Lol we have entered caviar/wine influencer baller territory :rofl:, I dine with the plebes

8 Likes

The highs at camphor are much higher than manzke. But there were some dishes I didn’t love at camphor, whereas manzke was much more steady. Manzke is a coursed menu whereas camphor is a la carte if that makes a difference.

Also I haven’t had a full dinner at new Kato but the bar menu was fantastic and the drinks were the best you can find in the city.

2 Likes

Well, I like your ideas @PorkyBelly. :wink: We hadn’t been to Osteria Mozza in years and decided to go last month for my birthday. We sat at the Mozzarella Bar and had such a great time we went back for our anniversary the next week. Went to Felix recently too. So good! Of the two I’d say OM is more special occasion-ish - they thoughtfully noted both occasions at our place settings and the service is really great. I don’t know if this is bucket list but the visits certainly made for special memories.

Reviews slowly forthcoming…

4 Likes

Now I really want to go to Hayato. But I hear it’s really hard to get reservations. Even if just for 2? I guess I’ll start trying now every month to secure it for a future dinner.

I’m also really intrigued by Kato. Confused bc someone recommended both those restaurants but said they liked Manzke better. I also now want to try Addison ! So many amazing restaurants. So little time.

I believe Hayato is possible, just very difficult. You have to be very precise and patient as you make attempts. I think the Hayato thread has a few posts with tips. I’ve linked the most recent one I found: Hayato - ROW DTLA - #1090 by Armillaria. 2 is the maximum reservation via Tock based on the reservation page. Personally, I think Hayato is one of the best in LA and special even vs. similar style restaurants in Japan. Definitely top tier bucket list in LA. But I’m a fan so take note of my bias haha. :sweat_smile:

Food is going to be subjective so for some they will prefer one over the other. I’ve been to Manzke once and Kato 2.0 twice and think I actually prefer Manzke. I’ll echo hippo’s opinion that I found the average at Manzke higher. Kato had a few dishes that fell flat for me, though some dishes I think I liked more. Haven’t been to either in a while though. I will say Kato had a great drink program. I still dream about that Milk Punch and I enjoyed the non-alcoholic pairing a lot.

If I remember right, Manzke has increased pricing on weekends. Looks like $30 increase. Either way, both Kato and Manzke are easy reservations if you decide for one of them.

Too bad the next version of Somni’s not open yet. I’m guessing they’d end up on an LA bucketlist whenever they’re up and running.

6 Likes

Thanks so much! This is very helpful. What is Somni??

closed during the pandemic and reopening as somni 2.0 in 2023.

1 Like

Nice! How do I keep updated? Now I want to try this lol

Speaking of bucket lists, has anyone been to club 33?? Know of anyone that can get me a reservation? I’ve come close a few times but unable to get one.

Also remembered I’m going to Vegas in August! Group of 4 ladies, any suggestions for a nice dinner? I wanted to try Joel Robuchon but I know that’s expensive. I saw bazaar and that looked interesting but also on the higher end. Doesn’t have to be bucket list (but would be nice if it’s more affordable). Maybe 200 ish per person is okay but less better LOL. Just want it to be worth it if it makes sense. More affordable but amazing in terms of filling. I’ve never tried Carbone, so I was looking at that one too.

All your suggestions are amazing!!! Makes me want to meet up and have a foodie dinner with you guys/gals!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

since @Qdao originally wanted to go to tfl for her birthday, manzke might be the better option over kato. manzke’s exec chef worked at tfl for four years.

5 Likes

Wherever you go @Qdao it sounds like you’re getting ready to embark on some really good food experiences here and in LV. Please report back!

Oh and happy birthday and welcome to FTC!

4 Likes

Thank you! I love it here. Better than Yelp LOL

2 Likes

Carbone for sure.

4 Likes

Somehow still an incredibly difficult reservation to get without advanced planning. Res required for bar seating too.

2 Likes

Club 33 food is nothing to write home about. It’s cool to say you’ve been, but it’s not that special. David Beckham and Victoria were there with the kids when I went. The highlight of the whole experience was chatting a bit about his Man Utd days.

6 Likes

Agree :100:
I’d not waste a special birthday on Club 33. That’s more for Disney nuts than for folks who are focused on food and drinks.

6 Likes

I would put Meteora in the same tier as the restaurants below. Otium, below.

1 Like

you can call FTCers many things, but we all make fun of Yelpers here lol :rofl:

3 Likes