Best shengjianbao and xiaolongbao

Isn’t Tasty Noodle House like Northern Cafe–the WSGV branch is largely unaffiliated with the others outside the WSGV (except for the new Northern Cafe in Rowland Heights?)

This was asked (and answered) earlier

Slight thread drift because I guess that’s what I do: anyone know of a place that serves worthwhile Jiangnan shaomai?

thanks, but let’s take it as given that certain meteorological conditions would have to prevail in the infernal regions before i pay close attention to a thread about a chinese restaurant on the west side regardless of the level of authenticity; assuming a count of roughly 800+ chinese restaurants in the SGV where i reside, there are still some 600 chinese restaurants that i haven’t visited yet. and some close before i can get to them.

2 Likes

Chandavkl, Jr.

1 Like

well, i am also toisan… we could be related.

1 Like

I like your estimation of 800. Nobody will come out and say what the count is. I only venture “between 600 and 800”. Luckily I was in on the ground floor when there was a much smaller number, such that I could try them all as they opened. At maybe just two or three openings a week it’s been manageable to eat at most of them.

1 Like

i started maybe 6 years ago and have managed an average of 1-2 a week and that includes returning to places i like. i’ve listed them all in my FB photo galleries. and a lot of them are gone.

but the pleasure comes in the pursuit and discovery, so i don’t mind knowing that i’ll never come close to trying them all.

2 Likes

Just went the other day on your rec and also @JThur01

So damn good.

1 Like

glad you liked it. which ones did you try? pork, pork/crab or the spicy versions? everything else on the menu is pretty good, though the portions are not large.

Pork and pork/shrimp. Pork chop. Dining partner is hit/miss with spicy so though I protested, no spicy dumpling :frowning:

that’s one i haven’t seen, but it’s been a while.

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation!!

we’re here to share, right?

or even plagiarize as some like to do as well.

4 Likes

i thought plagiarism was the act of claiming someone else’s intellectual property as their own. the only way you can do that about food might be in the realm of molecular gastronomy, and chefs have been doing that to wylie dufresne for ages.

I believe @kennymagic was referring to another poster taking huge parts of reports from @Chowseeker1999 and @moonboy403 and, er, re-purposing them for his own blog…

3 Likes

ctrl-c and ctrl-v.

1 Like

really? i had no idea.

there’s a bit of outrage, but my main response is one of pity. there are probably a lot of blogs out there whose content is entirely fictional and created out of a need to be relevant somehow. i know of at least one more from personal experience.

i got sued about 10 years ago by someone who claimed to have been injured during a monthly dance party in my home and i went onto the internet to see if i could find evidence that the person wasn’t as injured as they claimed to be. (i did, btw) people are creatures of habit; i googled the name for their myspace page, and found a dating blog whose content about their dating life was completely mythical. i was amused to read that the person also mentioned going out to look at various mercedes the day i was served notice about the lawsuit ($50k). in real life, the person was in their 40’s still living at home with their parents, and while imagining themselves to be a graceful dancer, belied that by managing to tear a rotator cuff while conducting a choir. i should perhaps mention that the person was… undertall for their weight.

this person has no idea that i know about the blog (which apparently won a “top 100” award of some sort.) and i’ve been content to let them have their illusion.

1 Like

Re:Sheng Jian Bao.

Little Shanghai Restaurant in Rowland Heights. Also good are the noodle dishes, and shepherds purse wontons. Not really a bowl of rice and a few plates type of place. Some SJB’s, wontons, noodles, and plate of veg should be highly satisfying. Ran by a Mom and Daughter.

(No one picked up when I called right now).

Edit: they are open until 1800 for hot foods and you can pickup frozen foods until 2000!

Kang Kang is open I believe.

3 Likes