Best Steakhouse?

The off-menu tomahawk is the “more baller” (?) version of the bone-in ribeye that is on the menu. And yeah, that tomahawk tastes pretty damn spectacular too.

CUT

Bone marrow flan, 35 day dry aged ribeye, banana cream pie.

Maine lobster entree and Side corn ain’t too shabby as well.

chi SPACCA

Focaccia, bone marrow pie, dry aged porterhouse, mashed potatoes

What’s the ‘texture’ like?

You mean the steak or the long rib bone?

Steak. Rib eye is our fave but never had that one.

I believe that meat-wise, the tomahawk is the exact same steak as a regular bone-in ribeye, except there is about 1-2 feet more rib bone which has been “frenched” (exposed) and left attached. The extra-long bone does nothing for the taste of the steak itself.

So back to answering your query: The tomahawk is the same texture as a regular bone-in ribeye.

Somebody chime in if I am in need of a correction on this one…

1 Like

I really appreciate your opinion. When I’ve seen them, I’ve been turned off about paying for that big, long piece of bone. I can’t imagine something unconnected to the meat making a difference. Thanks and hopefully others will weigh in aka “raise hell.” LOL.

Same steak, longer bone. Skip it and grab the bone in ribeye.

The rib primal is the ribeye and rib bone. Tomahawks do tend to be double cut, but a bone in ribeye can be as well.

My suggestion is ordering a bone in rib eye from the chuck end. More spinalis dorsi which is really tasty.

2 Likes

I actually take the bone home and make broth with it. So it’s not all gone to waste. As the Japanese say: Mottainai.

(If there is a rind of excess fat on the meat, I excise it, take that home also and put it in the wok to make a damned tasty fried rice.)

2 Likes

Pretty damn good. Honestly, it’s very similar to the old menu, but with a new focus on steaks. So before, the place was really about sharing a bunch of small interesting things. Now you go, get an awesome steak, and the sides are the interesting bites–a much better experience IMO. Things like the egg yolk gnocchi work much better as sides to a steak.

1 Like

Thanks @Haeldaur. Good to know. Glad to hear the new menu is very good as well. :slight_smile:

Yeah, a tomahawk is frenched and usually really thick. To my taste not an improvement over a regular ribeye.

1 Like

Best steak, or best steakhouse?

Best steak is the Bistecca Fiorentina at chi SPACCA.

Best steakhouse? Probably a toss up between CUT and the newly revamped ink.

1 Like

I will toss in Wolfgang’s–but only for the exemplary porterhouse. I also think the steaks at Jar are excellent.

2 Likes

Charcoal. That Rib Eye is to die.

Also Belle Vie’s New York. Big enough for 4, I think.

1 Like

Do you eat this buy yourself???

1 Like

If you are looking for a great deal on a steak dinner I love the Galley in Santa Monica.

Who doesn’t?

3 Likes

Uh… feels impossible to me to be honest, unless someone is a sumo wrestler or equivalent size.

JUST the bone marrow pie by yourself would be incredible to me, but adding in a 42oz steak on top of it seems…unreal…after those two items, the potatoes and cheese bread are practically nothing.

Are the Blackmore Farms steaks at Gwen just over hyped schlock? Or is there real magic in them?