Best sushi on a budget?

Yelp has a photo of a Masakazu receipt from January that shows “omakasa - sushi only” for $120. Can’t find a price for the full omakase with appetizers and grilled fish.

Thad’s a relatively good value compared with high-end places charge $200 or mroe before drinks, service charge / tip, and tax.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

Any idea how much dinner omakase runs here?

Edit: based on yelp, looks like it’s $120 for 2 apps 10 pieces of nigiri and one hald roll. $150 option available that adds 3 more apps but not anymore nigiri.

Wow that used to be Saito Sushi before the ramen place. Had many meals w/Saito looking forward to Kenbey driving by and hadn’t noticed it’s sushi again.

2 Likes

I love Kenji he’s a great guy and great chef. The new place is very welcoming and the staff is great all around too. I’m surprised by your rice comment though, when I went both my partner and I noticed the rice was almost cold and a little under seasoned, but it could have just been an off night I guess.

1 Like

Interesting, since I had his sushi at lunchtime. Now I’m curious about the shari consistency at dinner service.

Just had another good meal at U-Zen. A few apps, ~14 courses of nigiri, a hand roll, and a bonus round or two: ~$135/head.

4 Likes

In West SGV, I like the old-school Taihei in Monterey Park on Garfield. Reminds me of small mom-and-pop places I’ve been to in Japan. I’m no sushi expert by any means but their chirashi, uni, etc. all very fresh and reasonably priced. Cooked items also very good too

3 Likes

The first place I ever had sushi. And the first place I had ikura. I remember the chefs clapping when I popped it in my mouth as a kid. Thought it was SOOOO gross.

5 Likes

Kiriko Sushi - Sawtelle

Somehow the words “budget” and “Kiriko” don’t seem compatible and that’s because of the superior offerings. Helmed by itamae, Ken Namba, Kiriko is a no fuss, no pretense charmer with a pleasing price. :hearts:

Sake

Menu only notes the brand/brewery, Hakkaisan, with a description (dry and a bit spicy with subtle flavors of stewed apples, lightly toasted nuts and wood). It was recommended as a favorite and quite complimentary to Kiriko’s offerings.

Tempura & Sashimi… because hubs cannot live on lunch omakase alone. I think he ordered 2 tempura.

Salmon, Yellowtail, Albacore

9 Piece + Handroll Lunch Omakase (now $60)…

Salad & Miso Soup

Toro, Bluefin Tuna & Snapper

Amberjack

King Mackerel & Golden Eye Snapper

Halibut & Needlefish

Halibut was my least favorite, texture & flavorwise.

Smoked Salmon w/Caviar.

Caviar wasn’t super bursty, but the flavors together made it a great bite. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: We immediately re-upped.

À la carte Ikura

Bursty!

Toro Handroll

Nice touch is you get a choice of the day’s seafood offerings for your handroll. The list was rattled off pretty fast and not wanting to ask for it to be repeated I chose toro, but something with a little more texture would be good too.

As we’ve discussed about restaurants and sushi-ya in general they were understaffed and had a “hiring” sign on the door. All part of the post-pandemic dilemma, so. The service was charmingly harried and diners were enjoying themselves. If we lived in the ‘hood Kiriko would definitely be in the regular rotation.

https://www.kirikosushi.com/

Happy Best Budget Sushi Eating!

17 Likes

Not really a restaurant, but budget wise, can’t beat Yama in San Gabriel for price point? I’d even go as far to say impossible to find a better price point for quality sushi for any establishment period. They’ve made some changes so it’s not as agonizing as a line now, and are really good at keeping items stocked and have more people working there now.

4 Likes

ikura … SOOOOO gross

I was introduced to sushi by a friend in my mid 20’s (this was early 90’s).

She was explaining to me what the various bits were and which ones were more ‘challenging’ to a novice.

“This,” She pointed to a picture “is salmon eggs. Ikura. You won’t forget it. It has ‘Ick’ right in the name.”

4 Likes

I’ve heard this before from other people, and have always wondered if there were such preconceived notions about caviar (sturgeon eggs)?

3 Likes

I would also say that ftc is kind of it’s own little elitist sounding board, the average palate on this board is prolly 5-10x that of the normal American.

For many Americans the idea of having any types of eggs other than cooked chicken eggs is a non-starter let alone preserved “raw” fish eggs.

I just got this anecdote the other day from one of my friends whose parents live in a small town in Ohio “ I learned my very Midwest parents tried sushi for the first time and didn’t like it. They tried it from the buffet bar at a Ryan’s steakhouse” this is what a lot of the country is like lol.

15 Likes

@hungryhungryhippos coming in with the sobering thought. My in-laws subscribe to that ideology though.

On the flip side, I feel like the folks here are also more adventurous…and we just choose to spend our disposable income on food, drink and the dining experience.

7 Likes

Absolutely. Or, put a diff way, very sophisticated. And I think LA in general is also really sophisticated b/c so many different types of very good food have been available for so long (and, over the past 10-15 yrs, some many diff types of EXCELLENT food have been readily available). And then FTC is at least a step or two above the culinary sophistication of even the average Angeleno.

When I’ve traveled to non-metro areas, the contrast (incl for food prep, w/ our plentiful farmer’s markets here) really opens your eyes to the existence of food deserts and such (incl the existence of those places in LA).

9 Likes

The bar for quality is so much higher now, at least in LA, and that does make a big difference. 30 years ago, I couldn’t stand uni, until I was served it live out of the shell, and I realized what it should taste like. It was an educational experience and a game-changer. So yeah, trying sushi for the first time at a Midwestern buffet would be a buzz-kill. I lived in the Midwest in the 90s, and just getting my colleagues to try California rolls was a challenge.

4 Likes

“He was a bold man that first ate an oyster.” – Jonathan Swift

7 Likes

And when uni is bad, it is SO VERY BAD. I’ve had that happen once at a place in San Rafael where I should have known not to order anything ‘interesting’ in the first place. I always ask the itamae if the uni is good. Anything but an enthusiastic “Yes”, and I choose something else. Ditto monk-fish liver.

4 Likes

Taste-wise, it’s a crapshoot if that any live uni (though undoubtedly fresh as it is) which is just extracted out of its shell will be an A-plus or C-minus experience. Being freshly taken out of its shell doesn’t hurt, of course, but the actual taste of any specific piece of uni is not directly correlated with its freshness. Uni mongers/sorters are the true experts in discerning the likely flavor quality of any uni which is to be sold.

Glad you like uni, now, though! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I often think about that when I eat. It’s like, “Who would’ve thought that X would be edible? And how many people died along the way???” :grimacing:

5 Likes