Best west side opening of 2017

Tacos Tamix now added another truck, and it’s on the west side. You can get spectacular pastor from a spit every night of the week. It’s parked at Sepulveda and Venice almost every night.

4 Likes

That’s not west of the 405, so not really the west side. Just west side accessible.

Sepulveda and Venice is Westside.

3 Likes

Vito’s.

That’s another great one but I heard some rumors that it was not as good. Have you been?

Yeah I went there last week and the al pastor was a little mushy. It might’ve been because it was cold, and therefore slower than usual. Good al pastor has to have a spit that keeps spinnin’. I was going to write it up and I still might, but I also wanted to go again to make sure the quality was up to snuff. But it’s still probably the best al pastor on the Westside. And yes, that’s considered the Westside.

Cool. How does it compare to Leo’s?

in my world, sepulveda and venice is, most definitely, on the westside.

Leo’s is probably more consistent, but the Tamix on Pico and Venice (about) has better, meatier al pastor at time with very nice seasoning. Also the parking isn’t as challenging as Leo’s.

I agree with this. Also, the portions of pastor per taco are far more generous at Tamix. There was one taco I could barely close because there was so much meat on it.

Have you tried it? This location is decently close to where I live…

No I haven’t. They were wrapping up when I drove by at around 9PM.

I didn’t try the one on Lincoln either. Just polished off a meal at Wurstkuche - they were still roasting around 10PM.

I’ve found Tacos Tamix consistently better than Leo’s. May be sacrilege but I’ve tried both, a lot. I’ve tried both back to back (Leo’s, then walked to Tamix) with a friend, twice, because I thought I was losing my mind. Both times, Tamix was crowned king of Al Pastor. Can’t vouch for their new location though.

I’ve also had both countless times. The main Tamix on Pico is the best. The outliers, of which I’ve had three, are fine, but not as good. Leo’s is more consistent overall.