Bestia - Arts District

Do people feel uncomfortable going down there? Spending a lot of time in DTLA, I am de-sensitized, but have noticed others make a lot of comments about the locations of certain DTLA restaurants, like Bestia / Factory Kitchen / Rossoblue / etc. Note, I am not suggesting people walk around at night for fun, but the number of comments suggest to me that people feel unsafe.

Do people feel uncomfortable going down there?

I would make my wife valet if she went there alone at 9pm.

Ditto

Me too.

Yes, although the last time I was there at night was maybe 5-10 yrs ago.

It’s time to invest in a felucca so I can docks it on the LA River under the 7th St. Bridge. #pleasepassthegreypoupon

Had to look up felucca in the dictionary…I mean Wikipedia

3 Likes

I sailed on one once on the Upper Nile near Aswan. Great Nubian cuisine along the way.

glad I’m not the only uncultured pleb here.

2 Likes

Uber

Waymo

1 Like

As much as i like bestia, I wish they would change up the menu or offer nightly specials more often. I seem to order the same dishes every time I go. Has anybody ever gotten their mythical roasted suckling pig?

roasted marrow bone, spinach gnocchetti, crispy breadcrumbs, aged balsamic
bestia_20180323_093913

bestia_20180323_094210

lobster crostino, squid ink aioli, pickled chilies, opal basil, citrus
bestia_20180323_094303

mussels and clams - housemade spicy 'nduja sausage, fennel seed, preserved blood orange, grilled bread
bestia_20180323_094623

bestia_20180323_094829

Cavatelli alla Norcina - ricotta dumplings, housemade pork sausage, black truffles, grana padano
bestia_20180323_094941

Spaghetti Rustichella - dungeness crab, citrus, calabrian chili, thai basil, onion seed
bestia_20180323_095227

4 Likes

I loved it. I needed more food. too small to share. Going back soon though.

Why mess with success?

1 Like

It’s interesting to see each you, who I consider to be in the stratospheric “been there - ate that” group of eaters, to have very different perspectives on this issue.

I can see where the “monotony” of seeing the same menu items at these otherwise first rate places can leave folks like you jaded. This, I always wondered about. To see divergent views on this issue in the same thread keeps at least me off balance, but in a good way.

1 Like

agreed, but a nightly special or two wouldn’t kill them.

2 Likes

I completely agree with this. I fall in love with a restaurant, then get bored with eating the same food over and over again.

Bestia is great, but it would be nice if they were a bit more adventurous with the menu. It’s not like they don’t have the talent.

1 Like

He might be concentrating on his new mediterranean restaurant he is planning to open soon.But that doesn’t change the fact the they should do some type of special, maybe seasonal, not necessarily nightly.

BTW, does anyone know how reservations are? is it still hard to get a reservation?

Yes