Biang Biang Noodles outside of SGV?

The simplified is writing it in Latin letters. It’s not a canonical character
And technically this is simplified as the portion on the left and under has only one dot as opposed to two .

1 Like

Oh, Shaanxi Gourmet had biang biang mian. First place that I had it in the SGV. I can’t find the old LA Weekly article that was specifically on the biang biang mian there, but there are other references to it in other articles on Shaanxi Gourmet.

EDIT: Ah, here it is Biáng Biáng Noodles + Where to Find Them - LA Weekly

Unfortunately, the photos no longer appear.

1 Like

OK. So I read the article. I never ordered them there because they weren’t on the menu. If someone knew to ask, great. I was excited to get rou jiamo and the paomo unleavened bread for the soup. Some local friends made it once for a party and we all were breaking of the bread for our own balls. So when I went to the restaurant I asked if we could do it ourselves and they were very amenable.

And I saw some things at the restaurant I hadn’t seen before like something boiled in a small covered dish the method/dish was 汆. Looking it up now, something whether a meatball or vegetable is placed in boiling broth or water, cook quickly and then put into a container with some of the boiling liquid and serve. So this is called quick boiling in English I guess

So it is completely possible that the restaurant provided biang biang noodles. I just don’t ever remember seeing it written out anywhere either in Pinyin or in the menu

And the article is from a long time ago. I think I remember once going there and pointing to the character and asking if they had the noodles and been told that they didn’t. But hey. Other places seem to have it.

1 Like

It’s quite possible they didn’t have them when you asked, as that really seemed a problem at times with Shaanxi Gourmet. And their menu was always an adventure. It wasn’t translated for a bit. I recall a wave of discussion on CH about how they were no longer serving the lamb version (yang rou jiamo). The lamb version wasn’t on the menu, but I found out it was still available and ordered one. The server told me to just point to the rou jiamo and say “lamb” :grinning:. Shaanxi Gourmet could be a puzzle at times, and there was quite a drop off in quality later on, but I completely concur with you how many items were things I hadn’t seen before in the SGV. That was an exciting opening.

Fortunately for us Chinese noodle fiends, biang biang mian has proliferated in the SGV since those haughty days of yore!

2 Likes

Amen to that! And usually the less bland version with the chili oil and pepper. Bringing it back to the “outside of SGV”, not many options, sadly.

Qin west was a huge disappointment. The closest offering was “liang pi” and it was not at all similar to biang biang unfortunately

Technically, the radical showing on your post is in simplified Chinese, not traditional Chinese.

2 Likes

It seems to be printed/electronic form of the traditional walk radical. Whoops, I posted jeromes version my mistake, odd that the horse symbol is not simplified.

This is traditional: ⻎

This is simplified: ⻌

2 Likes

Not sure about the calligraphic dispute here; but you, the wife, and the emperor are always welcome for Biang Biang Noodles outside of the SGV - although there is a caveat - they are homemade.

9 Likes

Wowwwwww!!! Those look good :hushed::flushed:

1 Like

i suppose you could ask for a refund on what my suggestion cost you, especially if you also read jthurs’s observation that biang-biang wasn’t listed on their menu.

Ooooo do you have a link to a recipe?

1 Like

I use the one in “Xian Famous Foods”, https://smile.amazon.com/Xian-Famous-Foods-Cuisine-Favorite/dp/1419747525/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2LW7VCGIDRIOF&keywords=xian+famous+foods+cookbook&qid=1643484702&sprefix=xian+%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-1. It takes a bit of practice to “biang” the noodles properly. Took at least five attempts before I was satisfied with how thin they turned out.

3 Likes

FYI @Carmel (and others) - Biang Biang noodles is having a popup all week in Culver City (at the Citizen Public Market) per their IG. Ends Sunday Feb 6th.

1 Like

warrior: i think that assessment seems unfair to Qin West. liang pi and biang biang noodles are two completely different things. in fact, peony (native chinese) doesn’t even consider liang pi to be “noodles.” i think the melt-in-your-mouth liang pi at Qin West (which are pure starch with gluten removed) are delicious. i also recommend the guizhou soup at Qin West. peony and i have covid but i think guizhou soup helped cure the symptoms.

i’ve always liked the biang biang noodles at shaanxi garden and am not sure why people are down on them. i tried the little “biang biang noodle” place in the arts district and hated it, but maybe it will appeal to others.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, the squiggly top on the enclosure at the left is traditional fantizi it’s the dot joined to the rest of the enclosure. Simplified, (jianti) it’s straight
If you look at zhê 者 they rarely in either style out the little dot at the northeast side of the lower element 日

1 Like

Concur. I’ve always enjoyed Shaanxi Garden. The comments on the decline were at the long-since shuttered Shaanxi Gourmet, which was first in Rosemead, then Arcadia. Interesting that there are three fairly recent Shaanxi-style openings in the SGV. These things go in cycles.

1 Like

Not liang pi

5 Likes