Biang Biang Noodles outside of SGV?

It seems to be printed/electronic form of the traditional walk radical. Whoops, I posted jeromes version my mistake, odd that the horse symbol is not simplified.

This is traditional: ⻎

This is simplified: ⻌

2 Likes

Not sure about the calligraphic dispute here; but you, the wife, and the emperor are always welcome for Biang Biang Noodles outside of the SGV - although there is a caveat - they are homemade.

9 Likes

Wowwwwww!!! Those look good :hushed::flushed:

1 Like

i suppose you could ask for a refund on what my suggestion cost you, especially if you also read jthurs’s observation that biang-biang wasn’t listed on their menu.

Ooooo do you have a link to a recipe?

1 Like

I use the one in “Xian Famous Foods”, https://smile.amazon.com/Xian-Famous-Foods-Cuisine-Favorite/dp/1419747525/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2LW7VCGIDRIOF&keywords=xian+famous+foods+cookbook&qid=1643484702&sprefix=xian+%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-1. It takes a bit of practice to “biang” the noodles properly. Took at least five attempts before I was satisfied with how thin they turned out.

3 Likes

FYI @Carmel (and others) - Biang Biang noodles is having a popup all week in Culver City (at the Citizen Public Market) per their IG. Ends Sunday Feb 6th.

1 Like

warrior: i think that assessment seems unfair to Qin West. liang pi and biang biang noodles are two completely different things. in fact, peony (native chinese) doesn’t even consider liang pi to be “noodles.” i think the melt-in-your-mouth liang pi at Qin West (which are pure starch with gluten removed) are delicious. i also recommend the guizhou soup at Qin West. peony and i have covid but i think guizhou soup helped cure the symptoms.

i’ve always liked the biang biang noodles at shaanxi garden and am not sure why people are down on them. i tried the little “biang biang noodle” place in the arts district and hated it, but maybe it will appeal to others.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, the squiggly top on the enclosure at the left is traditional fantizi it’s the dot joined to the rest of the enclosure. Simplified, (jianti) it’s straight
If you look at zhê 者 they rarely in either style out the little dot at the northeast side of the lower element 日

1 Like

Concur. I’ve always enjoyed Shaanxi Garden. The comments on the decline were at the long-since shuttered Shaanxi Gourmet, which was first in Rosemead, then Arcadia. Interesting that there are three fairly recent Shaanxi-style openings in the SGV. These things go in cycles.

1 Like

Not liang pi

5 Likes