Bicyclette Bistro - Pico-Robertson

No kidding. I picked up a couple heirlooms from Vicente Foods last night and they blew me away. Bursting with flavor and juice. Check out the exquisite colors on this bad boy (for the record, the skin was pure yellow).

5 Likes

Definitely a favorite market

that looks amazing

Warrior: the duck is a “reference point” dish. Every time I eat duck in LA now, I compare it to the duck at Bicyclette. Closest contender so far has been the duck at The Barish.

Went last night: according to the waiter, that was the final night they are serving the duck with peaches. I wonder what they’ll shift to next. That dish had to be the highlight. The earthy sweetness of the beets, the peaches, the perfect saltiness of the duck. Gah, so good.

Bread and butter was as good as expected, as was the onion tart and the escargot. (Funny aside, they gave us a second baguette for free that was notably worse than the first, as if it was a day or two old.)

I actually found that the melon and tomato dish could have used a little something more. The melons just didn’t feel like they were peak summer aroma and perhaps because of that the parts felt a tad disparate.

The short rib was wonderful, though I doubt I’ll eat it/order it again. My body simply isn’t used to eating food that indulgent!

We did a plum crisp for dessert, which was wonderful, and a peach and almond tart that was a little less wonderful?

Also, this was an agonizingly slow meal. 3 hours plus. The waitstaff was kind but so inattentive. If you were not ready to order something, you’d have to wait twenty minutes for your next try. My wife asked our waiter about the dessert options; he said “I’ll present them to you.” He came back literally 15 minutes later to explain the like 4 options. It was brutal. At the end, perhaps recognizing their incompetence, they comped us some drinks and brought out some digestifs for free.

Anyway, maybe they are a tad understaffed on Monday. But you might as well have this expectation.

6 Likes

Yep, loving that pineapple heirloom. I’ve been getting them from Beylik Farms at BH Farmers Market. Tip: that extra juice is great in salad dressings.

2 Likes

Oh, dear. Yes, that is helpful info… Labor shortages, I guess?

Said it before but Beylik definitely had my favorite out of season tomatoes. Consistently very good hot house tomatoes. Jeremy Fox name checks them in his book for the momotaro tomatoes

2 Likes

Lol this is a random question—but have any of you tagged Bicylette in an Instagram story then been offered a kitchen tour at a latter date if you pop back in….

2 Likes

No but… I think that’s a nice offer

2 Likes

Without too much elaboration, let’s just say kindness wasn’t the likely motivating factor. :flushed:

I don’t use Instagram or otherwise post dining photos but was offered a kitchen tour there by my server, who was simply excited by what they were doing.

5 Likes

Could you elab? I can’t really follow the inference.
Is it that they just want more free “publicity” from someones IG? I can’t imagine a place that seems to be on everyone’s online, or guidebook, list of “DO NOT MISS when in LA” needs that.

So a member of their kitchen team slid into my single (and quite attractive) friend’s DM’s to offer her a kitchen tour next time she visited. We thought it was rather weird, but I actually feel much better that @NewTrial was also offered a tour!

7 Likes

Oh, okay, that’s totally diff than what I thought you had originally been implying!

If I had a nickel for every time I was offered a private kitchen tour at Bicyclette…

8 Likes

If I only I had a nickel for every time someone reached out to me on social media to seduce me!

4 Likes

I only get social media solicitations to get me into MLMs schemes…

4 Likes

Not to get too far off-topic but the worker said they keep them on the vine later than some growers and it helps prevent the mealiness.

2 Likes

Lol I still have no idea of the intention! I reached out to a chef friend to see if it’s a standard move and it sorta seems to be?

I will say the dude in the bicylette kitchen told my friend to ask for him by name!

2 Likes