Bill Esparza’s Antojito list

Bill esparza tacolandia organizer and writer came out with a pretty extensive list of antojitos in LA.

Any one been to any of these places/would recommend them? They all look good lol.

The pamabazo at el Sazon de Mary looks ridiculously good.

9 Likes

That’s great.

I read about Cielito Lindo in an Eve Babitz book and intend to try a taquito next time I’m in the neighborhood.

3 Likes

I would say you are probably next to never going to go wrong with a Bill Esparza recommendation when he is writing about various Mexican regional foods.

10 Likes

Damn that is a pretty extensive list! I agree all of it looks good and I will smash everything on that list.

5 Likes

It kills me that there are so few vegetarian pambazos out there. It’s such a great dish and usually the only meat is a tiny bit of chorizo (which could easily be substituted or omitted) that gets mashed into the potatoes…

5 Likes

Well… hate to break it to you, but Enchilada sauce that STICKS is often started with lard… And then thinned with broth.

5 Likes

Yeah, I know. I tend to operate on a “don’t ask” policy, but I’ve been in enough kitchens to know the truth…

2 Likes

Doesn’t pambazo bread itself traditionally contain lard?

Once again, I tend to assume that nearly everything that comes out of a traditional Mexican kitchen starts with lard… I’m just suggesting that a recipe that is 95% starches can easily be tweaked to be vegetarian and I’m surprised it hasn’t happened more often.

There are a couple of vegetarian pambazos out there… but they’re few and far between.

3 Likes

@Moomin, if you’re ever in Escondido (San Diego) check out Phatties for delicious vegan Mexican food including pambazos.

1 Like