Birthday bite under $10

My supervisor has a birthday on Tuesday. I want to get her a small cake or cupcake or dessert. looking to spend under $10. Preferably under $5. Not being cheap, just doing a “it’s the thought that counts” kinda thing. Here is the kicker, I want it to be relatively healthy. Was thinking of a chocolate covered fruit, but those tend to be spendy.

Thanks for any ideas.

What, anywhere in LA? I’m going to say couple of pies from Atticus.

Maybe a strawberry donut from Donut Man?

1 Like

not sure if srs

“Relatively healthy dessert” and “under $10” might not be super compatible.

If you’re on the westside, you could try some fruit tarts from Amandine’s “happy hour” (30% off pastries after 4PM).

1 Like

Totally serious. It’s about as healthy as chocolate covered fruit or cream pies.

Where in LA are you located?

1 Like

How about a boxed set of Japanese confections from Fugetsu-Do?

You can quite easily get a customized set of 6-8 pieces of mochi, wagashi, manjū, etc. for under $10. Presentable box comes included.

5 Likes

Durian mooncake? :innocent::grin:

Pretty sure that’s not under $10.

Yes, I mean a durian mooncake.

are you near any persian bakery? they might have cookies made with chickpeas. i make my own cookies with chickpeas in lieu of cookie dough and i throw in walnuts and carob chips to simulate chocolate chip cookies, some people have no idea that they’re eating chickpeas.

also works with peanut butter cookies.

3 Likes

Ooh, good idea. Pink Orchid in Westwood has great honey cookies (asa li).

It’s way way easy to make your own chocolate covered strawberries.

But I agree with Nemroz - where you are located will affect your choices.

You know a really great loaf of bread with a ribbon on top - that would make me happy anytime. They can have one slice or chunk and freeze the rest.

1 Like

Try Cake Monkey on Beverly Blvd. They have individual sized cakes for about $6 or $8 I don’t remember which.

I said “relatively.” :smile:

I’m in mid-city, work in Beverly Hills, will be in Santa Monica this weekend.__

Dark chocolate covered fruit is healthy.

according to yelp, rex bakery on sawtelle has pistachio-chickpea cookies.

I’m scared.

Is susina still open?

what’s to fear? i didn’t suggest buying them without trying them first. and rex should be relatively on the way to the west side.

1 Like

Where is donut man? I looked it up, seems far.