Birthday spot dinner - fish only

I LOVE GJUSTA. I just have to have enough patience to wait in the crowd and then wait for my smoked fish to go order to be ready… it really is one of those things where I have to be ready to deal. It’s always worth it and is my very favorite smoked fish in LA. I like Wexlers too! I just don’t get over to the market as much as I should.

WOW. I’m putting Fishing With Dynamite on my list! That looks amazing. Thanks!

1 Like

I love Cassia but never had their seafood bar items. @wienermobile pictures show me that I must change that asap!

2 Likes

I’ve read about this guy here and there. He’s like that Monty Python character but in real life. I guess the orange juice magically transformed his diet into a healthy one. :smile:

Glad you know about Gjusta. I know we all can’t pick and choose our times to go but when they first open, slack time (2-5PM) and after 7PM usually are good times to go without much of a wait.

I don’t know how their mackerals rate with you but I really like all that I’ve tried. Their albacore (about 3-4 weeks ago) was also memorable.

1 Like

Hey welcome to the party! Are invertebrates (shrimp/lobster/crab/clams/etc.) OK?

My picks (non-sushi): Providence, LQ Foodings ( Resy | Right This Way ), Elite (Cantonese live fish/prawn/crab from their holding tanks), Ricky’s Fish Tacos (though it’s kinda low-brow for a B-Day, ambiance-wise), Coni’Seafood…

Sushi (worthy of B-Day blowout): Mori, Shunji, Kiriko… If the budget is a factor (or you are Westside-allergic), then Kimagure Ike in Pasadena is a great bet.

2 Likes

Yeah, orange juice for good measure! According to some doctor that was a guest on Good Food recently, orange juice is one of the worst drinks there is because of the lack of pulp.

Hopefully Diamond Jim Brady did not try to fit in one more wafer…

I second @wienermobile’s recommendation of Wexler’s, but I do find their smoked fish to be a tad on the salty side, but it’s very good.

For a casual lunch, I would recommend the poke at Ohana Poke Co in Silver Lake. They have another location in DTLA, but I haven’t been to that one yet. They use good quality fish, and their poke is well balanced. This isn’t a birthday meal per se (although I had lunch there on my birthday), but a good thing to remember for an informal meal. Happy early birthday, @Clyde!

1 Like

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but which K-Town restaurant has the best hwe dup bap (sort of the Korean equivalent of poke or chirashizushi )? Thanks!

Ah heck - throw in the obvious as well - Newport Seafood on Las Tunas in San Gabriel. Hard to pick a loser there.

3 Likes

L&E Oyster bar is a fantastic place to have a seafood centric dinner. I personally think they have the best clam chowder in the city.

Get Bbul

1 Like

Note that FWD is very small and usually packed but very good if you can snag a reservation or don’t mind the wait for one of the few bar or counter spots.

1 Like

clyde: the shunji experience you describe was practically exactly the same as mine.
never returned.

Fishing With Dynamite is my go-to place for great fish

1 Like

Thanks for the hwe dup bap recommendation, @ipsedixit!

Ugh if only I could convince my friends to call me Diamond…

You might need to eat an ungodly amount of food to convince your friends. Let the challenge commence!

1 Like

@westsidegal have you considered going again at some point? I wrote it off at the time but with so many people suggesting it, perhaps we both happened to go on an off night. I haven’t been out to a proper sushi dinner in so long, I’ve been getting my fix over lunch. I’m considering going to Nishi-Ya, an old time favorite spot that we haven’t been to in quite some time. Though I just looked at those pictures on another thread from Mori and it just all looks delish.

to my palate, mori is far superior to shunji.
when i’m in the $$$$ mode, i go to mori.

in my experience, mori is better AND mori is consistent.