Black Bottom Cafe finally open!

I have been waiting for this for months as they kept pushing the opening. The tag “Southern Food” had me going as there isn’t much Southern food in LA. So I just finished off my first taste of “Black Bottom”.
Here is a link to the website, http://blackbottomcafe.com/.
It is a small space on the northeast corner of the six-way Lankershim, Vineland, Camarillo intersection. Takeout only. There is a picnic table outside, but it was a little wet and cold for dining al fresco tonight.
I was a bit surprised at the menu - mostly bbq or shrimp with lots of vegan options. Not my idea of Southern cooking. No fried chicken? I went for the half pound of brisket with a side of mac-and-cheese.
First the bad part; the mac-and-cheese was just okay. The blend of cheeses was good, but the emulsion had broken and the pasta was cooked to death - which works with gooey American cheese based sauces, but not a blend of fancy cheddars and asiago. You need Edna Lewis’ take, Southern-Style Macaroni and Cheese | Saveur, to make those cheeses work. Still it was edible. The coleslaw was standard, not too sweet thank goodness, and the homemade bread-and-butter pickles were fine. I didn’t get the greens; I love greens, but they use kale. Come on - kale?
Looking at the menu one might think that the chef has an unfortunate predilection for trying to fuse health food with bbq and its true - my brisket was garnished with microgreens…microgreens on bbq!!! But now we get to the great part - it was the best brisket I have had in LA (caveat - I haven’t been to Maple Block yet - soon). They did so many things wrong: it was the flat, not the point; it was sliced with the grain, not against, and there was hardly any bark, but it was so good. Tender, succulent, juicy, and the perfect amount of smoke; not overpowering, no creosote taste, but the flavor was definitely there. I am not a big eater, but I polished off the half pound with no trouble.
Really nice people too. The desserts looked great. I will definitely return to sample the other offers.

Thanks for the report @ebethsdad. :slight_smile: Sounds like the Brisket might be worth a visit, but as you said, the rest of the items, maybe not. I agree with you: Microgreens on BBQ? LOL. :smile:

Menu pricing is pretty high IMO, but that buildout must’ve cost them a fortune so I guess they gotta recoup somehow…

MOMMA DOLL: You wanna stay for supper? We got kale.
UNCLE TYRONE: He likes collard greens, not kale.
MOMMA DOLL: He like kale. He thinks
they’re collard greens.

1 Like

As long as there is bacon grease or a ham hock Southern style kale is fine. Although I like it mixed with turnip, mustard and collards…beets too.
Still enjoying the brisket aftertaste.

This sold me.

Yes! Before kale became health food, the only way I knew how to make it/eat it was cooked in bacon fat.