Blaming private chefs for their millionaire employers' crimes: threat or menace?

Allow me to return to this. This was so well written and I thank you for the time and effort. I’m not as well written as you but, for me anyway, there’s a kind of a moral issue here. I kinda think it’s important to take stands when we have the opportunity.

3 Likes

I’m right there w/ you, in this case (and in also thinking that, in general, employees shouldn’t be automatically held responsible for/knowledgable of their bosses’ transgressions).

Exactly. I’m certainly not saying that people should report their boss b/c there are very real issues of retaliation and such, but I do think that quiet quitting would also have been a moral way of handling the situation, at least initially (and I also get that resigning is not something that all employees have the luxury of doing).

1 Like

Yes. That for sure.

Well said. I’m not one to cancel easily but everything I’ve read says Epstein really didn’t try to hide it and it was going on all the time. Hard to miss…

Everything I’ve read says that Epstein did hide it. The sex was usually behind closed doors and it was in the guise of getting massages (and some of the time it was just massages), so employees didn’t necessarily see anything. And his adult girlfriend being around surely make it plausible that nothing illegal was going on, especially since the age of consent in New Mexico is only 16. Were Lang and other employees supposed to guess that she was his pimp? Blech, what a disgusting pair.

Yeah, having all those young-looking girls around was sketchy as hell, but then so was how Epstein made his money. He didn’t inherit it or invest brilliantly or found a successful company. He was a con artist and who knows what other kinds of criminal. How many millionaires aren’t moral cesspools? How many Americans can get jobs where their employer (person or corporation) isn’t doing unethical or criminal things?