Blueberry muffins

I lived in Seattle 30 years ago and used to frequent Overland Farms (I think that’s the name) to buy the most delicious blueberries. They had a fabulous recipe for muffins that I’ve never been able to duplicate–light and fluffy with a crispy exterior. Anyone have that recipe or one that you love? Thanks.

I don’t have the Overland Farms recipe (and to be honest, I have never even heard of them), but I do have the Souplantation recipe for blueberry muffins memorized by heart from my days as a baker at Souplantation.

Here goes, and hope it’s a close proximity to what you’re looking for. Good luck.

Make two mixtures: one dry and one wet.

Dry mixture:

5.5 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup whole-wheat flour

10 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Wet mixture:

3.3 cups buttermilk

2 cups white sugar

1.3 cups canola oil

0.5 cups cracked eggs

2 teaspoon blueberry extract

Additional Ingredients:

1 pound bag of frozen blueberries (thawed, drained)

Combine the dry mix ingredients, set aside. Then combine and thoroughly mix the wet ingredients until the sugar dissolves. Then fold in the dry ingredients into the wet. Once combined, fold in the blueberries.

Bake in a preheated oven at 325 F for about 10-15 minutes (or until tops are golden brown).

Makes about 50 blueberry muffins.

3 Likes

Is that really a half cup of cracked eggs?

Yup, makes for 50 muffins.

That’s why I asked :smile: Not real eggy that’s for sure. And I’d be reducing the recipe since I’m not starting a bakery! Thanks.

1 Like

@mandy was requesting light and fluffy, and I think the Souplantation ones are generally qualify as they are not dense, or cake-like (i.e., easy on the eggs and no butter), which most folks find to be a good thing when making muffins. Otherwise, just make bread.

Say what you want about Souplantation, but their blueberry muffins do provide a nice fluffy texture and a rather clean and pure taste.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recipe, ipse. I always look forward to those muffins when I find myself at Souplantation, even smuggling them out sometimes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oh, and are those 50 muffins the same size as found at Souplantation?

1 Like

Yup, gives you 50 scoops, give or take.

2 Likes

When you says “scoops” are you talking about relatively small muffins? Even minis? And certainly not Costco :slight_smile:

Costco muffins, I think, are too large.

Generally, speaking a nice small-medium muffin is best (esp. for the home baker) because you get even heat distribution, as well as a nice crusty top.

Souplantation muffins are about the size of a baby’s fist.

1 Like

That’s what I was looking for when you wrote “scoop.” Got the family coming in a couple of weeks and everyone except the seven month old will like these I’m sure. Thanks as always.

Here is Peter Reinhart’s recipe for blueberry muffins, the best I have had.

3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (1 lb)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (.25 oz)
1/4 tsp baking soda (.08 oz)
3/4 tsp salt (.17 oz)
2/3 cup room temp unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar (12 oz)
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 1/2 cups blueberries (if using frozen add while still frozen)

Sift dry ingredients together. Cream butter and sugar; then add eggs and vanilla. Alternate adding 1/3 portions of dry and wet ingredients. Do not over mix. Fold in blueberries at end.
Makes 12 large muffins or 24 minis.
Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan for 20 to 30 minutes.

Its actually Peter’s wife’s recipe. They had a little bakery/restaurant in Forestville, CA many years ago.

1 Like

Okay, stupid question but I really don’t bake. Can any part of this prepared in advance and frozen? When the family comes in I try to prep in advance that I can. TIA.

Yes, you can.

Bless your heart!

My favorite blueberry muffin is from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking from My Home to Yours, pg.4, first recipe in the book. The night before baking them I mix the dry ingredients separately from the wet. Refergerate the wet. In the AM turb on your oven and combine the dry and wet, spoon into muffin cups and pop into the oven. By the time you are out of the shower the muffins are hot and ready. I use frozen wild blueberries, they are tiny and have lots of flavor. Week of Menus: Orange Blueberry Muffins: Feeling humbled

2 Likes

Thanks!
Mandy Shamis
mmshamis@yahoo.com

I tried this recipe, but the muffins needed 30 minutes before turning golden brown and after that they weren’t as moist. Two questions: do you need to bring all the ingredients to room temp first? And do you bake them in regular muffin tins or mini muffin tins?

This poster has left the forum.

Having been to Souplantation before, these are more mini muffins than regular-sized muffins.

I have nothing constructive to add to this conversation. But this was a funny post from Andrew Zimmern about his literal blueberry muffin.

4 Likes