Bold, Stunning Sunshine (with a side of Hellfire) - Northern Thai Food Club [Thoughts + Pics]

I’m a hard no on all of the above.

3 Likes

Even this guy needs to count to 30 before deciding no…

COunt

3 Likes

another steam table destination Arko Foods

2 Likes

I’ve had quite a few dishes containing blood. A really good Taiwanese-style pig blood cake is great. I also recall getting “Red & White Tofu” at Shu Feng in San Gabriel. It was equally divided between jumbo eraser sized pieces of tofu and congealed pig’s blood. It was good. It seemed to impress the heck out of the owner that I ordered it.

congealed blood = no problem
a bowl of raw, red blood = i would have to think long and hard.

4 Likes

It’s one of Cantonese’s delicious delicacy as well.

Wow! @Chowseeker1999! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

have you had Nam Ngiao before? The noodle has been very soft everywhere I’ve had it.

Awesome reporting, i really can’t wait to go eat there but concerned that there won’t be anything without spice there for the kiddo.

for Kao Soi i’m still preferring Spicy BBQ. This one looks yummy though with less toppings.

1 Like

I can understand that. Would it help that the bowl of blood is thickened to an almost pudding-like consistency? :wink:

There was a while where I preferred the broth at Pailin, but about 2 years ago they changed up some of the cooking on it, including the type of crispy noodle on top, and I too started leaning back toward Spicy BBQ. Very excited to try this one.

1 Like

Hi @Nemroz,

Thanks! Yes, I’ve had Nam Ngiao before, remember my Pailin report (thanks to you!)? :wink: I like Pailin’s Nam Ngiao more, it’s more balanced in flavors. And yah, good point, Pailin’s version is also very soft for the noodles. I guess Northern Thai Food Club’s threw me off since their Khao Soi that we just had had firmer noodles with more chew / density to them. Then we had the Nam Ngiao and it was so soft it was like mush, hahaha. :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the recommendation on Spicy BBQ, I’ll have to try that version next time!

1 Like

awesome… sorry no i dont remember anything.

sidenote: kid from Pailin has come to be so close to my family over the years that he feels totally at peace talkin shit to me on insta when i visit other thai places instead of theirs… it’s quite funny. overdue for a visit.

2 Likes

i’d be willing to take a spoonful to start.

1 Like

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Is the coconut milk, palm sugar based curries an Americanized thing or just a different region than Northern Thai?

Thanks!

Don’t mean to butt in, but not an Americanized thing and regional as you suggested. in reading different cookbooks, particularly the food of northern Thailand by Austin bush, northern curries are often herbs and spices pounded together to a paste (ie the famous geang hang lay pork curry) and without the addition of coconut milk. Highly recommend the book btw.

4 Likes

full-on downhill alert for me. lovely people, but everything felt tired, muted, stale, bleh at a recent lunch. possibly victim of good press (it was rammed with only white hipsters).

2 Likes

Thanks for butt in @hppzz. The web is great but sometimes confusing when it comes to regional food. You added a puzzle piece.

2 Likes

slightly off topic, but the term “curry” is really fascinating and since you’re interested in long form…look up the history of this term. lots of good articles on it…

4 Likes

I will. I’m definitely interested. Thanks!

My daughter gave me that for Christmas. Great book, beautifully written and illustrated!

2 Likes