Bon Temps - Arts District

Pastry is where this restaurant excels. I had my second meal there last month…highlight was predictably the vegetable tart entree.

Signed up for breakfast.

Prebanging croissants

6 Likes

In addition to the croissants we got their banana bread (with burnt honey glaze) and strawberry danish.

8 Likes

How were they? Were those ordered through Tock?

Yes, we got the $9/2 pastries deal that included one croissant and one onion scone. We added these. They were I think $4 and $6 respectively.

Darn it. What time did you get them? There were only croissants left when I went this morning at around 10:45AM.

We ordered ahead on Thursday night for Saturday morning at 9am.

1 Like

St. Honoré - creamy, velvety, crunchy, nutty, sweet
This dessert is sooo good!

9 Likes

st. honoré - pecan mousseline, chantilly, caramel #covid15

spoiler alert

the cake is a lie

7 Likes

In addition to the ready to eat takeout meals for dinner, Bon Temps now has frozen mini entrees to eat as needed.

Butternut squash lasagna and Beef pot pie. Both great. Took 30 min to heat up in my oven.

Edit: This is half the provided portion of lasagna(wife ate the other half).

12 Likes

RIP

That hurt, hope the chef and his team land on their feet.

2 Likes

Just when my mouth was watering over these desserts!

This article was eye-opening. Nate ‘n Al’s was teetering and I thought they found a buyer but they’re gone for good now. :cry: I also saw pre-covid that the owner of Woodspoon was looking for a buyer so they’re probably finished too.

i feel sorry for chef, but i’m not surprised, the few times i’ve been there the place was dead.

1 Like

I haven’t been so can’t speak to anything, but didn’t someone post that they thought it was a bad idea to open another restaurant in the Arts District?

Arts district is problematic because everyone thinks thats where you should open a restaurant but most of the places there are destination spots or cater to the small group of locals that actually live there. So if you are coming in you either gotta have big recognition like Enrique Olvera or you gotta have neighborhood loyalty which Bon Temps has neither. Yes Lincoln Carson is a Jedi master chef to someone like me who knows his resume but most people have no clue who he is and unfortunately I think the business model should have been bakery model primarily and do wholesale, thats the only way new, non-established bakery concepts can survive these days in LA, there’s already so much competition its hard to squeeze in.

4 Likes

Is that still a thing that might happen?
Seems way overdue, even pre-COVID.

That was my own impression, too. I “get” why it’s a cool/hip area, but I’ve always thought it seemed a bit “random” to open there, from a geographic point of view. Is the rent relatively cheap to other parts of metro LA? (I assume it’s not)

It was extremely cheap when they first starting opening up restaurants in the area. People could buy abandoned factory buildings for nothing… hence Factory Kitchen. But now idk.