Bracero - very disappointing

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but perhaps the extra customer load due to it being San Diego Beer Week made things worse?

The room upstairs is actually not that big with too many tables./ customers compared to other upscale restaurants (in addition some tables where surprisingly long periods of time unoccupied between customers). Also it was clear that they had enough servers as some of them were standing around doing nothing for quite some time. It is more an issue of badly trained stuff

It was unfortunately not only our table with service issues - some tables next to us got for example their salsas put on their table with the comment “here are your salsas”. When the customers asked how they are made, the servers often shrugged and moved away (that was actually good from our server who was willing to explain them). Most of our dishes were otherwise put on the table without any explanation.
And to be honest if they only have the A game ongoing when Javier is around that is a sign of a very badly run restaurant. We have eaten many times at J&I or Georges when Richard or Trey weren’t around but the service and food was never different when Jon S/Anthony or Jon B. aren’t alone in the kitchen.

It’s odd but I live up the street from Bracero, and many times when I go by there on a weekday evening/night, Craft and Commerce always seems busier than Bracero.

ssshhhhh I like being able to grab a table upstairs at Bracero on a whim!

Hey, ipse, hasn’t Craft & Commerce been closed for renovations for a while now?

Couple months, maybe?

C&C is just a Hipster Haven with mediocre pub food embracing shitty customer service.

I suppose one could say that about 90% of the restaurant on India St.

1 Like

Agreed, but these guys take xtra pride in their crap service, going so far as to play their shitty yelp reviews read over the speakers in the bathrooms. Management surely doesn’t seem to care when their customers complain and in fact wear it as a badge of hipster honor. Hope things change for the better.

Wait a minute RISD…Yelp reviews? Who takes those seriously? Many of them are mean-spirited, spiteful, and, in general (yes, I know a broad brush stroke), not written by people with a lot of food cred. How many times can you have an “amazing” meal in a mediocre restaurant…

I’m kind of neutral on Craft & Commerce, it’s kind of middle of the road in food and service for me, but I did think their idea to play the negative Yelp reviews in their restrooms was brilliant and rather entertaining.

Entertaining? Yes, perhaps until you are experiencing the same exact bad experiences you are hearing being read about.

Had a very bad customer experience. Hoping the new incarnation is an improvement in both food and service. Yet, I’m betting the remodel was mainly to increase capacity and will do little to nothing to improve the former.

But you aware that even Achatz has done similar things - even if C&C might not be the best restaurant on India but at least they react the right way on yelp reviews.

Yet, when enough of the same complaints are registered, there is usually something to them.

Normally i would agree but not in the case of Yelp. Yelp is more a self fulfilling prophecy - one Yelp idiot starts something bad about a restaurant and all other Yelp idiots follow just because it is “cool” to bash certain restaurants and often you can see that many haven’t even visited these restaurants or just make up things

1 Like

In this case, I’ve had a personal experience that validates many of these yelp reviews.

That used to happen on Chowhound too, right? LOL

1 Like

yes to a certain degree but I always felt that at CH there was more a balanced discussion about positive and negative aspects of any restaurant

I think it happens everywhere.

Yelp, Chowhound, FTC, Hungry Onion, etc.

Always easier to agree than to disagree.

And disagreement, while easy in theory, is hard to do without the discussion disintegrating into personal attacks.

It takes a rare individual to tactfully call out someone for being wrong.

You’re wrong, and you’re stupid for even thinking those things.

1 Like